Sign in to follow this  
nigwell

COIL PACKS

Hi

Has anybody changed there coil pack before? if so can you tell me if its a fairly easy job to do or do i need to book it into a garage??? :(

Cheers

Nigwell

Is there an electrical connection on the pack itself! along with the bolts?? like the mass air sensor which just plugs in?? and does anybody no how much a new one is?? sorry for all the questions. :oops:

cheers

Nigwell

Is there an electrical connection on the pack itself! along with the bolts?? like the mass air sensor which just plugs in?? and does anybody no how much a new one is?? sorry for all the questions. :oops:

cheers

Nigwell

Yes there's a electrical connector to plug in too/ MAF sensor style.

Only ttok me 10/15mins, Easy home job for the not so mechanicly minded like me.

Weren't VW coil packs a big thing on Watchdog recently due to amount of newer performance VW's that were being stranded by failing coil packs? Only mention it in case a heated discussion might get you a discount?

Not the same design. I've not seen what you're refferring to, but I know all the recent problems have been with the inidividual over-the-plug coilpacks, that remove the need for HT leads.

And I thought they'd fixed that (mostly) now?

nope, Audi TTs are still being wiped out left, right and center by dodgy coil pack leads even today... :?

I've been told they get what's called a 'Gel-pack' as a replacement. It's a shame when car manufacturer's get a bad name due to an OE supplier not making their parts properly. I think the Beetle's got a MAF recall, especially in America. They're worse than the troublesome VR6 ones......but they cost £50, and not £200.

If I were VAG I'd be dragging Bosch and Telefunken over the coals with this issue.

K