Sign in to follow this  
kvwloon

Remote Start Facility.....?

I currently have an Autowatch 172R1 Remote Immobiliser fitted which has been faultless, but am hankering after a remote start facility. Anyone know if this can be added to this existing immobiliser, or of a reasonably priced remoter alarm/immobiliser system that comes with ta good remote start facility. Rough prices would be good too, thanks in advance.

Does doing this not remove the CAT 1 classification of your alarm? I had heard this somewhere but not sure ifit's true or not. Ideal for those cold mornings if you can't be arsed getting out to scrape the car (although I thought idling the car from a cold start was bad?).

ISTR that remote start is illegal in the UK..

Something about not being in control of a running vehicle, can't remember the details.

Bugger, might have known there would be some nanny state legislation to suck ever more joy out of life......thanks anyway guys, will just have to train the other half to get out of bed 5 minutes before me instead :)

Before knocking this one on the head I'd look into it further if you really want to do it. You never know what you might find out.

Remote start is legal, but fitters are only supposed to put it on automatics. Putting it on a manual car would make the car jerk forward if it's left in gear :oops: possibly ramming the car parked in front

However.. I have seen manual cars advertised with remote start

Decent remote starts for manuals have an inhibitor switch to prevent it starting if it's not in neutral. In fact, it's a pretty fundamental requirement!

Decent remote starts for manuals have an inhibitor switch to prevent it starting if it's not in neutral. In fact, it's a pretty fundamental requirement!

Ah, I suppose so. The fitters I spoke to (a few years back) would only stick it on autos. Maybe manual-start kits weren't around then, or perhaps they were just bulsh*tting me :lol:

Ah, I suppose so. The fitters I spoke to (a few years back) would only stick it on autos. Maybe manual-start kits weren't around then, or perhaps they were just bulsh*tting me :lol:

there's a guy up near here with remote start on his Honda Accord TYPE-R......which is manual-only AFAIK

S'funny, I'd heard they were illegal...

maybe they are........then again speeding is also illegal but we all do it :wink:

Yep, they are defiantly illegal.

Its an offence to leave a car unattended whilst its running. There was a case during the cold spell we had recently where people were prosecuted by the 'five 0' for starting their cars and going back in the house, the same applies to remote starts even if the car is locked.

Clifford are the only manufacturer to offer a fool proof remote start for manual cars. It involves an activation process when you leave the car, something like this:

With the engine running, select neutral and apply the hand brake.

Press the remote start button on the remote fob, remove the keys from the ignition.

Get out of the car and close the door

Set the alarm.

The engine stops running only when the alarm has been armed.

This way there is no way that the car will be started in gear.

They also do a transponder repeater that turns off immobilisers.

if you have a turbo... and a turbo timer...

a) you leave that running unattended... is THAT illegal?

and

b) if you always use the turbo timer, you are assured that you left the car in neutral... and therefore you can remote-start it without worries.

i'm planning on installing both on my turbo diesel. IMO, remote start makes more sense for a diesel since they need a minute or two to get warm for full combustion... and sitting for a minute or two waiting for the turbo to cool is nice on a lazy day, but not so great when late for a meeting :lol: