VR6 Lee

Starting issue vr6

Car has driven faultless over the past 2 years but yesterday coming back from Stanford hall the sunroof and the rear spoiler stopped working. Replaced the 15 amp fuse this morning. As normal started first time from cold and drove 6 miles to shop, fuse again below approx 3 miles into trip so thought I will have to take the spoiler apart and re-grease (Had exactly same problem on my bro's car). Left car for approx 1 hour and then started but immediately stalled, tried this a few times but did exactly the same. On the 4th attempt I decided to give it full gas, started, revis went straight up and then died, couldn't even keep it started by applying more gas.

Opened the bonnet to ensure everything was ok, which it was so I decided to replace the 15 amp fuse and try again. Started first time and idled perfect. On the way home it blew again so am currently waiting for 1 hour to see if it does it again.

Any ideas?

---------- Post added at 5:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:32 PM ----------

Problem sorted.

Car did exactly the same after leaving it again for 45 minutes. Replaced the 15amp fuse which keeps blowing and it starts fine. Took out the fuse and it starts and then dies so must fuse must control the ecu or the immobilizer.

Anyone re-wired the Immobilizer/Ecu so it runs on a separate fuse, that 15 amp fuse runs a lot

Sunroof, Rear spoiler, abs light, ecu/immobilizer

This happens to my car every time i look at an Alfa :)

Or a

TVR

AUDI R8

LAMBO

AUDI S5

the list goes on...

What is causing the fuse to blow?

Is it when the spoiler moves up or down? Is quite a lot of wiring in the tailgate.

Not a great bit of electrical planning from VW that one. If a struggling spoiler motor blows the fuse, you're left with a sunroof you can't close and no engine!

Find the immobiliser box (I think it's behind the centre console) and follow the power wire back to the fuse board, cut the wire and then as you say, run a seperate fuse to it.

Immobiliser control module is next to the spoiler control module behind the light switch area. There are two cables going to it, one goes to the sensor ring on the ignition barrel, and one goes off somewhere else.....................