MurdoMac

Wheel spacers bad Idea?

I don't like wheel spacers, although i'm sure lots of people will say there is nothing wrong with fitting them I just think they are a bad idea, so when I noticed they were fitted to the Corrado i'd just bought I decided to remove them and this is what I found -

DSCF6775_zps8a859df4.jpg

DSCF6774_zps95babc52.jpg

DSCF6768_zps2cf5e91a.jpg

The other side, not pictured, basically fell apart in my hands and is in bits. I'm not sure what exactly would have happened if they had decided to disintigrate at high speed but I wouldn't want to find out. So they are in the bin and I feel a little safer.

Yep, never understood it that folk do something so radical to your car which could potentially become a death trap by this stupid idea just to get your car to supposedly look better.

That's why you only go for ones with TÜV approval which are subjected to material strength tests. Have been running 30 mm spacers each side front and 50mm spacers each side rear on my Mk1 Rocco for 11 years, previous owner already had them on, sill going strong. Same on my C, where I run 6mm spacers all round, again H&R, German brand.

Wouldn't touch some of the stuff on ebay ...

Tempest

I had to space out after lowering on coilovers due to my tyres fouling on the springs. I didn't know much about spacers I just knew that what i wanted was hubcentric!!

so i brought fairly cheap and quickly regretted it when i changed a tyre to find exactly the same thing had happened to mine :/ it is worrying to think i was basically only riding on 5 bolts.

good word of warning for people to watch out

They look like poor quality items tbh, and as Tempest has said, quality approved items will give you more peace of mind.

As tempest has said tuv approved are the way to go H+R one's are probably the best available they were on mine with the porsche wheel's when i bought mine and are top quality with steel insert's the problem is there is too many people wanting to to thing's on the cheap as i have found with other part's of the build of my car it does get on my goat to be honest Fu**in cheapskate's.

I have recently fitted spacer to the back end of my Rado.

The back end is a standard 16v rear beam and it didn't look right after doing the VR engine conversion.

So I made some 12mm spacers at work, the only difference is that my spacers sit between the rear beam and the stub axle.

I know its a lot of hassle to fit them, but I wasn't happy with the alternative.

Had the same thing happen on some I tried. They were a bit tight going on and then did that when I torqued them up - rubbish. FK's for the record, so even some of the well known brands can be suspect...

the torque from 5 wheel bolts crushing down on the ally spigot because the wheel spigots to small would easily do that to the best of them, im not for or aginst wheel spacers, iv used them and have had no problems,

the torque from 5 wheel bolts crushing down on the ally spigot because the wheel spigots to small would easily do that to the best of them, im not for or aginst wheel spacers, iv used them and have had no problems,

Have to agree mate. How thick were the one's you were using mark? were they hubcentric? It is generally ebay special's you will have problem's with I actually have some FK's on the rear of mine at the moment with no issue's ;)

I had exactly the same spacers as the OP (look not make) and the fronts were fine. However on the rears, like on the pic the centre lip part of the spacer had sheered clean off!!!