J.C

FIXED!!! Bad noise when conering

On the way home today I was going round a small roundabout and there was this horrible knocking graunching noise coming from the area in front of my feet

I limped to Tescos and checked the engine, I reckon it 's a gearbox/engine mount,

It does it mainly going around right hand corners,

ok when you accelerate in a straight line,

not so easy to get it to happen around LH corners

Rocking the engine seems to have a bit of side to side movement, but I sold my Golf VR6 yesterday so I got nothing to compare it to,

what's the best method for checking mounts?

Steve

Edited by J.C

A way of checking the engine mounts is to rev the car either with a mate using the pedal or you doing it from the throttle body and seeing how much movement there is in the engine position as the revs blip up and down .Obviously there is a little movement but you will notice too much movement .I would also check ball joints as well .

Rob

Edited by robrado974

Thanks Jim, but not a cv joint, they're new plus the noise is VERY bad and it happens when there is a weight shift not just a steering angle (I can corner tightly slowly but if at speed it feels like the engines shifted and the cv bolts are hitting the subframe(that kind of severity))

thanks Rob,

How much movement is too much?

is there a way of getting a jack under the engine and seeing the movement in an up and down plane

thanks Rob,

How much movement is too much?

is there a way of getting a jack under the engine and seeing the movement in an up and down plane

---------- Post added at 9:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:25 PM ----------

Didn't know driveshaft had weights,

please explain

Loose weight on a driveshaft??

I didn't detect any play in the wheel bearings

the noise is more of a slow loud knock compared to a frequency of a driveshaft/wheel bearing at a given speed

to give you an example when it first happened I looked back to see what I'd run over, expecting to see a wheel trim or a part of my cars bouncing down the road

to sumerise

It happens when moderate (and faster) speed and easier to happen when cornering right,

seems to be linked to cornering g force

I can turn full lock and as long as I drive slow, no problem

reverse, no problem

Wheel bearings and cv's, pretty sure it's the wrong frequency to be one of these,

thanks for all the replies

Loose weight on a driveshaft??

Second on this. Happened to me about twelve months back.

Located problem to a broken anti roll bar link (drivers side) when going around RH corner, it would try and do its job but because the link was broken it move up against the outside CV joint, causing the noise

I've tried to up load the photo but doesn't want to play ball

I plan to post a video of the noise on youtube for future reference, I'll post the link when I've done it

The engine movement should be minimal really , obviously with it being a big lump , you will see a bit , but it should just slightly move as the throttle is blipped , as there has to be enough for tension movement on parts

Edit just seen last post , glad you found the problem

Check the driveshaft as it maybe fouling against the chassis. I had my chassis notched out to stop this. You will see a shiny line around the drive shaft if it has been catching the chassis leg.

If the car is low it could be related and inline with what your saying its quite a loud noise and feeling under your feet. It will just be one side as there's more clearance on the other side with the driveshaft and chassis.