poll250

Crank Position Sensor fitting

Hi,

Looking for a few tips on how to fit a Crank Position Sensor to a VR, with the front end on. Space seems very limited and I can't really get it to seat properly-it's currently in at a bit of an angle as I thought doing the bolt up would seat it properly.

Is there any good way to do it without taking off the front end? I really don't fancy messing with the Mocal, Intercooler, radiator, boost pipes etc if there's a simpler way to get it fitted but I fear not...

Have you tried from under the car? (I can't imagine you have to take off the front to replace that thingy).....I know I'v replaced that sensor before - but can't remember if it was on my Corrado or Passat - but it was with the front on....

should be able to do it fairly easily from underneath - 5mm allen head bolt iirc.

Thanks guys, I managed to get it changed on Friday- because of the routing of the mocal pipes it's a real nightmare even with a small 5mm allen key, you can get about a 1/4 turn in at a time so it takes an age!

There are 3 parts- the sensor, an o-ring and a plastic spacer that fits into the block. Does anyone know if the o-ring goes in before or after the black spacer ring

Anyway, when I go to start the car all I get it a load of loud clicking now and it won't even crank over at all... It was really tough to get it to fit in snugly as it's only held in by 1 bolt. I put the old sensor in and held it flush by hand without the black spacer to see if I had a duff new sensor and the same problem. (It makes the same noise if I just completely disconnect the sensor).

Has anyone got an idea what could be wrong?

from what I remember, first fit the o-ring to the sensor then slide the plastic ring on to the sensor and fit it together onto the block. The o-ring should hold it in place and it should sit absolutely flush on the block.

Hmm, I'll give it another go later then.

If you disconnected the white plug on the CPS normally and went to start the car, would it just turned over? It may just be that the battery is a bit flat as it's not been driven much lately.

I think it would just turn over but not open the injectors or allow a spark. As Robrado mentions the clicking is the starter and you will probably see the clock displays flicker as there is not enough power in the battery. Stick on charge for a while and see how you get on.

I've also got a mocal in mine, albeit I fitted it after changing the crank sensor but i'll try and have a look regarding access.

Success! After all that it was just a slightly flat battery that caused it.

Fired up and idled beautifully once charged, certainly seemed to start really nice and easily with the new sensor too :)

Do you have part numbers for the "plastic ring"?

I can only find part numbers for the o-ring and the sensor in ETKA but nothing for the plastic ring...

---------- Post added at 12:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

OK doesn't matter now, I don't need the plastic ring as i have the later sensor 021 906 433 C which doesn't require the ring.