VR6 Lee

Rear carrier removal (VR6)

Started the job yesterday or stripping down the rear axle on my Rado as I want to renew the abs sensors and the abs rings as I have a speed sensor fault coming up on the VAGCOM.

Calipers came off easy but the carriers allen keys bolts I can't move even a bit. 3 out of the 4 are round off so the M8 allen key socket just spins round. :(

What do you think is the best thing to do to get them off?

IMG_20130519_194219_zpsdf8f5840.jpg

I don't want to buy the whole set which one would i need if I just want to buy the one to get bolt off?

Yep - you need the Irwins and as above, deffo change the sheilds and stub axle bolts / bolt cover, this will most likely be the cause of the ABS issue!

Them rear shields are proper rusty haha

Yeah just like your arches bro!!!! :p

---------- Post added at 9:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:01 PM ----------

Do I need the shields on the back as heard a rumor that you don't need them?

I don't run shields on mine,front or back,

Fronts are recommended for if a cv joint goes and sends grease all over discs

100% safe !

Urban myth about the fronts protecting against cv blowout !

tuseny5e.jpg

As you can see,they don't cover even 50%,even the clever German engineers can't make a dodgy cv just blow out on the shield !

Just my 2p

Can anyone say WHY OH WHY are the carrier bolts Allen heads and not hex??? i hate allen head bolts when the bolts are exposed to the elements and dirt.

Guys - you can't change the carrier bolts to stainless - NOT strong enough for brakes or suspension!!

New bolts should be used every time you swap discs - it's lazy garages and people just ordering discs from factors that cause the problem here, I've only ever needed to use the Irwins on one car to undo these, usually good socket and a sharp blow with a hammer cracks them undone after a soak in plusGas.

Stainless is hard but its not tough. It doesn't have the tensile strength for the job of mounting load-critical components like brake carriers.

If you're going to fit standard hex bolts then get hi-tensile jobbies in the right flavour and then get hold of some of the rounded bolt head covers that are used on kit cars to get them through the SVA. The covers are pennies and are worth using on all exposed bolt heads underneath the car if you plan on using it through the winter etc to prevent this kind of thing happening.

No idea why VW chose cap-headed bolts though, although there'll be a method behind their perceived madness somewhere.

Cheers

​Tom

You can get A4 (marine grade stainless) but these are still only around 8.8 where the bolts used on brakes are 10.9's...

You can get A4 (marine grade stainless) but these are still only around 8.8 where the bolts used on brakes are 10.9's...

Fair doo's