JimyJonz

More VR6 issues, horrible clattering started randomly when driving

Hi again, another issue with my VR6 I'm afraid. Was driving fairly slow and nothing eventful happened but suddenly the revs dropped to less than idle and there was a horrible clattering sound from the engine. I had absolutely no power so shut it off straight away to avoid any extra damage and pulled over to the side of the road, this happened to be on a very narrow country lane :thumbleft: Always in the worst place possible...

I got my dad to tow me home and started it once more so he could hear, it really didn't want to start and when it did I can only describe the sound as being like a bolt was jumping around in the engine itself. Now it shouldn't be the timing chains as I had them done 3000-4000 miles ago but it did sound similar, if a hell of a lot angrier. Any ideas?

Thanks

Probably rule out driveshaft bolts if it did it when you tried it back home when stationary. I'd be inspecting chains to begin with, as what you've already thought is probably along the right lines mate. :(

Wondering if something weird like a timing chain tensioner has broken or something? Either way sounds like a nightmare - please keep us updated as and when you get it looked into as it'd be useful information for the forum.

Wondering if something weird like a timing chain tensioner has broken or something? Either way sounds like a nightmare - please keep us updated as and when you get it looked into as it'd be useful information for the forum.

my thoughts too. Or the tensioner bolt at the back of the block has lost oil pressure. If you can, remove the spark plugs and use a socket on the crank pulley to manually turn the engine - you should be able to identify where the noise is coming from before taking the head off. I'm sure you've checked the obvious - removing the rocker cover to have a look at the upper chain and cam bolts?

Keep us posted

Thanks for the replies, I've given the garage who did the timing chains for me a call and they can collect it Tuesday to have a look. I didn't really want to take it back to them but as it's possibly related to the quality of the job they did last time it would be silly not to, it definitely sounds like something top-end.

I'm working every day until Wednesday so I won't have much chance to look at it in the meantime, wouldn't really know what I'd be looking for anyway and any work on this scale would be far beyond me. I'll post back when I have some feedback from the garage, wish me luck...

Thanks again

Mitchell

Probably rule out driveshaft bolts if it did it when you tried it back home when stationary.

He's right, I forgot autos always drive the front wheels (so when stationary the diff is driving the disconnected driveshaft and you still get the noise).

I've seen pics of broken tensioner rails where the bolt ends up pressing directly on the chain, that would sound pretty horrible! Hopefully it's still close enough to correct timing that you still have straight valves...

Stone

The sound in the video is somewhat similar, but would it happen with the clutch down? And if so would it effect revs and starting? It did sound like it was coming from the top end of the engine. Well hopefully the garage will be picking it up today and letting me know what's up, personally I'm thinking chain tensioner or something similar has broken. I'll post back when I hear from them

Cheers

Ok update time, and it's bad news. Apparently the valve seat has dropped and broken up in the engine, possibly causing damage to the block and the head. Basically the guy said it would be cheaper to put a new engine in than repair the damage. More good luck it seems... Might be the end of my corrado days for a while :-(

Ok update time, and it's bad news. Apparently the valve seat has dropped and broken up in the engine, possibly causing damage to the block and the head. Basically the guy said it would be cheaper to put a new engine in than repair the damage. More good luck it seems... Might be the end of my corrado days for a while :-(

i have my old corrado vr6 engine that i removed for my 24v conversion , roughly 138k miles but ran fine with no issues , i can put it on a pallet for you if you want to arrange a courier you can have it for £100, would cost no more then £100 to get it to you, so you could have a an ABV vr6 for under £200 delivered,

its had work at the timeing chains before , no proof other then its quite quiet and theres blue sealant on the chain caseing, which is slightly leaking btw, you would want to re seal that and fit a new crank seal at the same time, easy job as its a bare engine with no gearbox attached,

edit; im guessing the guides were replaced idk?, if your genuinley interested i will take photos sometime maybe this evening but seeing as its a bare engine you could allways get a timeing chain kit or swap yours over to it,

Edited by VW_OwneR_85

That's a really good price!

yep might aswell get rid , buyer to sort out and pay for pallet courier though, as i dont want the hassel of that, if the OP was local to me i would happily swap it all over at a fraction of the cost aswell..