seanl82

Another ABS light thread!

Had a search but can't find anything, so hopefully you fine and helpful chaps can point me in the right direction!

Since I bought the car, the ABS light has not come on. Checked the light itself and its been butchered, and the PCB had burned out components and broken tracks. I bought a new/used light off Kip and thought that would sort my problem, as the ABS system works afaik (jumped on the brakes at around 30 and it didnt lock up). The new light unit has no pins for the top plug, and I was just wondering if this is correct as I plan to trace the wiring back tomorrow. If not, what is the top plug/cable for? Ive got a bentley on CD, but its with the old laptop with the car away from home. Cheers folks!

There are a few different lights with different plugs (thanks VW). It sounds like you have the wrong light.

When ABS kicks in you should know about it, it's not exactly subtle.

Pretty sure its the correct light. There is one maybe 8 pin plug, and a further 2 pin plug that slots in above it. The loom and light unit marry up, but the 2 pin plug has no pins to attach to in the light unit itself. Just wondering if the 2 pin plug was for voltage to the LED within the light unit, to help me out before I start as the bentley is just a schematic, not a wiring diagram and as I've not dealt with it before, I'm going in a touch blind. Thanks though Tony. :thumbleft:

There's only one row that plugs in (bottom one) that is for use. The upper one serves no function to the dash light. I'd be checking for power from the lower feed first.

Just what I hoped, thanks James! Hopefully just a case of tracing the wiring back now. Will report in with my findings tomorrow!

The ABS system is integral with the light.. I.E the system does a self check including the light.. No light, no ABS.

The top two pin plug is for the airbag light which no UK Corrado has, there are three or four different ABS lights for the Corrado, but all should be interchangeable with each other (as far as the ABS system goes - wiring loom is another story). The light does not require the two pin airbag plug as its a independent system.

The wiring for the ABS light has a seperate loom going to position X on the fusebox (when looking at the fusebox from the front it's top right; from the rear it's top left). A green 6-8 pin chunky plug - bang next to the large red live feeds.

I'm an expert on the Corrado ABS system now as I've just spent ages ripping mine out and replacing it for a later system.

The ABS system is integral with the light.. I.E the system does a self check including the light.. No light' date=' no ABS.[/quote']

Unless the bulb is at fault. But you'd also get a clicking when yout turn the ignition on, regardless if the bulb is shot.

Thank gents, its obviously not working then and I mustn't have been going fast enough, or my brakes are also pretty pants! Passed efficiency test on the rollers though so at least they're effective-ish! Didn't spend long on it due to a little mishap with a pair of long nosed pliers, old parcel shelf straps, and an eyeball being too close!

Yes I was trying to lift the bottom bit out with the pliers to snip underneath and drop it out from below, the pliers slipped and stabbed myself in the sclera! I'm a bloody idiot, but luckily I've just got to wear a patch for a few days and rinse in saline solution twice a day to avoid infection, as I gouged a fair bit of it! Its a bit sore, but its not affected my sight luckily!

Anyway, back on topic! I had voltage at the light, but still no illumination. Had no signal on the other pins from the control module though, so whipped it out to have a look!

20130526_132136_zps840131bf.jpg

Could have something to do with it!

1H0 907 379E if anyone has one!? - Already in the wanted section anyway. :thumbleft:

Does anyone know if ABS ECUs are interchangable? I've had a search and can't find anything. Kip has offered me one with the suffix D whereas mine was E. Wondering if this would be ok to plug in and go?

Little bump but I've sorted the above question with one with the correct suffix.

I managed to steal an afternoon chasing the ABS problems today. I've swapped out the control module for what I'm told is a good one of the correct type, yet I'm still getting no indications what-so-ever.

I spent the afternoon chasing wiring, and continuity testing everything I could. I'm a bit stumped now so anyone that has any suggestions as to what to try next, I'm all ears!

I have voltages from the indicator light;

Pin 2 - Black - 12v

Pin 3 - Yel/Red - 12v

Pin 5 - Br/W - 10v

Pin 6 - W/Blue - 0v

Pin 7 - Gy/Gn - 10v

Pin 2 & 3 are for the LED, but with both being positive voltage, that can't be right can it???

If I move the plug over so pins 1-6 are in use, (instead of 2-7) then the light comes on as pin 1 (brown) is earthed out. It obviously stays on though. I've got the Bentley on CD which shows the schematic that I've been using, but does anyone have a sort of home made diagram with where and when the signals become live etc? Any information or advice anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated, as I'm near out of ideas now! Thanks all! :help:

:( Gutted for you mate but if you want me to send you the one i have to try i'll gladly do so FOC. just be nice to try one.

That's an extremely kind gesture, thank you Paul! If you could do that, I'd be forever in your debt! I'll pay for postage, and if it solves the problem, I'll pay you what was agreed in your breaking thread. If it proves an incorrect type, or doesn't solve the problem I'll post it back to you to sell on mate. PM on the way buddy!

Hesitate to suggest it, because it might not help, but have you tried a VAG-COM diagnostics scan for ABS error codes? If you can't connect to the ABS controller full stop there's a serious problem with it, but if it's just got a dodgy connection or two it should flag up some meaningful errors.

Thanks Paul, let me know how much I owe you for postage mate.

Mat, I've got VCDS lite on an ebay cable, and its coming up as no signal from ECU when testing ABS specifically. I'm not entirely convinced though, as it throws no error codes on any scan even with engine off. From what I'm led to believe with ignition on but engine off, it should come up with a crank sensor fault or somesuch?