VR6 Gar

VR6 Gar's Flash Red VRT. SOLD

IMAG0735_zps07120a48.jpg

IMAG0736_zps42411325.jpg

If go to a motor factors that mixes paint in a spray can they use a camera like device to scan the paint for a better paint match

That's a great shout Graeme, in stock at a local B&Q. Much cheaper and easier than getting some paint made up specially.

Not done a huge amount recently.

The door striker pins were a bit rusty so bought some new ones. Gave them a quick coat of Lacquer before fitting to keep them looking good.

On bank holiday Friday this happened.

20140418_150255_zps8b1d0460.jpg

Blew the heater return hose whilst cruising along at 70ish. Pulled over just before all the water had emptied itself from the engine, so no damage done.

The hose was a Samco and hadn't enjoyed its life next to the turbo. When I went to undo the small jubilee clip off the thin diameter pipe a bit of the pipe just fell off. As such I went with an OEM replacement made by Meyle.

After having the days plans somewhat ruined I ordered some Samco silicone stretch and seal tape for the glove box incase any other hoses decide to split..

Here is the offending hose.

20140418_163352_zps2853955c.jpg

All of the heat sheath and mat around that area was really manky and most of the reflective surface had flaked off. After spunking £60 replacing a lot of it the engine bay is now a lot tidier looking. Ordered a Turbo blanket too, but that may take a few weeks as it is coming from China.

20140430_141111_zps02820a59.jpg

Drove around 270 miles this weekend in the Corrado.

Came across a Jag XK R on Friday evening and had a little play with it up a steep hill on the A38(Haldon for those that know it). Up to the end of 4th and into 5th there was absolutely nothing in it. Pretty chuffed with that considering they are over 500bhp and have way faster gear shifts. Also I was carrying the other half and some booze, whereas I think he was on his own, so was probably confused as to how I was keeping up.

Took it down to Gwithian in Cornwall for a nights camping on Saturday where I bumped into fellow Forum member Loepan on the same campsite.

IMG_3488_zps4de540d1.jpg

Edited by VR6 Gar

hello again matey,

lovely example you have there,just caught you leaving hells mouth cafe as well, seen you pull off and was hoping you was going to floor it ;-)

nice to meet you, I'm gonna head back to page one and read it through

Just read the last few pages to bring myself back up to speed with your updates I enjoy following the progress with this car, and still love those Comps. If you ever think of selling them, I'd like to be first in line to take them. Quick question: On my THs, I have not fitted the centre caps as, quite frankly, I think they look cheap and nasty. What centre caps are those that you are using, which look much more fetching/appropriate?

Also, I do/like those seats. Years ago I drove the moonlight blue VRT that was then owned by Marcus - now owned by Ben I think - which had a set of cream Konigs fitted and they were very comfy. Out of interest what custom seat bases have you fitted, and are they a perfect fit? I am not completely happy with the custom ones holding my Recaro Speeds in place.

Rgds Charlie

You would have to get in line behind Coullstar who has been trying to buy them back since the day I bought the car, lol, not that I will ever sell them.

The caps are genuine compomotive and I presume the ones Graeme got with the wheels when he fitted them to the car.

I bought proper Konig frames and they are a good fit. They don't go quite as low as proper Corrado seats on their lowest setting though so could be a problem if you are very tall.

Got them here.

http://www.sportseats4u.co.uk/konig-vw-corrado-seat-frame/prod_2315.html

Caps were not from compomotive direct. A guy started knocking them out on ebay so I dont know if they were genuine or he had taken a mould and started doing copies.

Managed to get another set for the MO's on the Audi but not sure if they are still going around.

Turbo blanket arrived from China today. Took just over 2 weeks which ain't too bad and they put gift and $2 value on it so no import charges. :thumbleft:

Having removed some corrugated heat shield from the turbo to fit the blanket I gave it a quick scrub and fitted it above the existing manifold heat shield to try and further help intake temps.

20140514_163136_zps0da606bb.jpg

Also had the wash bottle off as it had some black crap growing in it. Quick blast from the hose didn't shift it all so I managed to jam the dish brush inside to give it a good scrub, along with the outside as well.

20140514_171126_zps03e5bd6b.jpg

Now I just need them to finish renewing the Gas pipes on my street so I can get it out. Was a bit of a shock getting back from work yesterday to find this having had no warning my driveway would be blocked for a week.

20140513_172730_zps7cdea53c.jpg

Drove around 270 miles this weekend in the Corrado.

Came across a Jag XK R on Friday evening and had a little play with it up a steep hill on the A38(Haldon for those that know it). Up to the end of 4th and into 5th there was absolutely nothing in it. Pretty chuffed with that considering they are over 500bhp and have way faster gear shifts. Also I was carrying the other half and some booze, whereas I think he was on his own, so was probably confused as to how I was keeping up.

Took it down to Gwithian in Cornwall for a nights camping on Saturday where I bumped into fellow Forum member Loepan on the same campsite.

IMG_3488_zps4de540d1.jpg

Lovely wheels you have there, very Lancia DIntegrale look! As for Gwithan, it's one of the best locations in Cornwall. I stay at Gwithian Farm first couple of weeks in July every year. Will be taking the C this year. Have only ever seen one Corrado in Cornwall though, a bright orange one near the Foundry in Hayle

Love the updates with this. Can't believe though they'd block your drive in like that with no warning :0

Lovely wheels you have there, very Lancia DIntegrale look! As for Gwithan, it's one of the best locations in Cornwall. I stay at Gwithian Farm first couple of weeks in July every year. Will be taking the C this year. Have only ever seen one Corrado in Cornwall though, a bright orange one near the Foundry in Hayle

Yeah it's a great spot, I go a few times a year as well but just for weekends when my surfy mates go down.

That Orange Corrado will probably be the TDI one thats for sale at the moment.

Spotted a full set of TT aero arms and blades on ebay a few days ago for £48 delivered so snapped them up.

I already knew that the passenger side arm would be too long but had plans on how to get round this. I also didn't want to have to cut the blades to make them fit, due to them hitting in the middle, like you do when using 2 Drivers side arms, so here is what I did when they arrived today.

First off was separating the head of the arm from the main shaft. This was not an easy task and i would not recommend it unless you have a work bench with vice.

To do this I used angle grinder with a thin disc and cut a slit straight through the arm shaft where it goes into the head. I then, after lots of failed attempts to wiggle and bang it apart, cut through the arm at the point where it would need to be cut anyway when putting back together. The remaining bit of arm was then cut length ways into 2 halves. Each part could then be held in the vice on its own whilst a large screw driver and lump hammer were used to smash the head to remove the thin bit of remaining arm. Repeat for the second remaining piece. Hope that makes sense.

The head was a bit scarred after all that hammering and cutting, but nothing a little filling didn't sort. Could do with giving it a lick of paint but it really doesn't look too bad.

After getting the inside all tidied up with a needle file the head was ready to slot back on to the arm. This was easier than expected and only took a few taps to get it into position. I then wrapped it in a cloth for protection and clamped it back up using my metal vice after checking its length was correct and fitted the car properly.

IMG_3556_zpse9889585.jpg

IMG_3558_zps0e0b19ac.jpg

As you can see the passenger arm is slightly longer than the drivers arm, making it the perfect length and not a compromise.

IMG_3559_zps953d92d5.jpg

IMG_3560_zps228775bb.jpg

IMG_3561_zps316b2d3e.jpg

IMG_3562_zpsf4873afb.jpg

If buying new it would be far easier and less hassle to just buy 2 drivers side arms. However if a complete set comes up like they did for me then it is possible to make them fit even better than the 2 D/S method.

The blades after a quick rub of vinegar are in great condition and do an amazing job of cleaning the screen. There is so much pressure on them that on a dry screen they wont get back to the reset position.

Edited by VR6 Gar

Unfortunately this is now for sale. I simply don't use it anywhere near enough and when I do it is generally driving up and down Duel Carriageways to go and see friends and virtually never on fun twisty roads. As such I am going to sell this and buy and E39 M5 for the toys and extra comfort, but also the fun whilst pushing on when the rare occasion arrises.

Feel free to put any comments on the add in here.

Since my last update I have.

Damaged and temporarily repaired the NS sill :censored: Car ramp decided to fire under the car instead of the car going up the ramp. The joys of a gravel drive.

Fixed the slide on the sunroof. Much easier than expected even though I had to repair a rear slide with a screw then grind it down.

0a300901-1177-4e09-8c3a-8ea040887c12_zpsbfbf55db.jpg

Doesn't quite go all the way back but only did this 2 weekends back so not had a chance to investigate why yet.

IMG_4074_zps2583dd69.jpg

Finished off all the heat shield renewal and got hold of a LHD scuttle cover. Needs modding to fit nicely around the wiper motor but looks ok for now.

IMG_4078_zpsa4466341.jpg

Edited by VR6 Gar

Cheers dude, will be sad to see it go but it deserves to be used more in the way it was built for.

My other half actually said she will miss it too, which is a first. Thought she hated the savage acceleration but apparently its comfortable and looks cool.

Cheers Rob.

Had a hankering for a V8 M5 for a few weeks now so thought it is time to scratch the itch.

Was originally planning on waiting till I get back from the states before sorting a for sale add, but then thought why wait.

If it doesn't sell for what I want I will just have all the bodywork sorted and enjoy it for a bit longer then stick it back up for sale for more.

Edited by VR6 Gar

V8 M5 very nice , my itch is the Quattro turbo , I don't think I will ever be able to scratch that itch , unless a lottery win comes in ! . You still got my parts for me ?

E39 M5 is right up there in my dream garage - be sure to get some pictures up if the VRT sells and you do pick one up :)

V8 M5 very nice , my itch is the Quattro turbo , I don't think I will ever be able to scratch that itch , unless a lottery win comes in ! . You still got my parts for me ?

Parts still here. Still not got the engine out though but that shouldn't make too much difference to getting the brackets off you wanted. Will try and get under the car and remove them this weekend if the weather is good.

E39 M5 is right up there in my dream garage - be sure to get some pictures up if the VRT sells and you do pick one up :)

Was toying with the idea of blobeye/hawkeye STI's and Remapped E60 535ds for a while but decided I wanted more comfort than the Subarus could offer and would get a bit hacked off with auto in the E60. The E39 has pretty much bottomed out price wise so should potentially be a good investment, just like decent Corrados are.

Supposedly a very capable car as well, fun yet comfortable and loaded with toys.