The Milkman

Sunroof help please

I had the usual problem of the mech not working on my sunroof, I replaced it with the motor and mech from a Mk3 Golf. It worked perfectly. Went out to clean the car at the weekend, tried to open the sunroof, it tilted fine but just clicked once when I tried to put the tilt done and stopped working. I assumed it was the switch (toggle type) so I ordered a replacement, the flat style from a golf. Just fitted that and still nothing. I had a google and apparently the sunroof and spoiler are on the same fuse, spoiler is working fine. Tried the old sunroof and the motor isn't doing anything on that either.

Any ideas please?

Remove the motor but keep it plugged in (electronically), try slide again.

The motors weaken over the years and struggle to move the sunroof back, but they'll still work when they are free.

Cool, cheers guys I'll give that a try at the weekend. I just thought that the old mech and motor would have worked, there is no glass/metal sunroof attached just the motor and frame

Just tried it without the motor attached, still nothing. But I've just checked and the interior lights are no longer working either, do they run off the same live?

Right, I found a wiring diagram online and they do share a live feed. Fuse number 21 and it keeps blowing. Just put a 20a in as it's all I had, light worked fine, sunroof tilted then popped the fuse as soon as I tried to put it down. Any ideas please?

Three things:

1. The motor is badly worn, and needs to be replaced;

2. The mechanism is very stiff due to lack of lubrication (but it tilts up so this is a contributory factor, but not the current problem);

3. The mechanism on the left hand side has worn to the point that it is jamming.

To test, try manually cranking the mechanism in both directions (tilt and slide). If it's a lot more difficult in the slide direction, the roof is jamming and is going to snap a cable end shortly. To fix it the roof needs to be removed so the worn bits (or the whole roof) can be replaced. You're going to need a "Water Guide Plate Left" to fix your existing roof.

Obviously if it moves smoothly in both directions, the problem is the motor.

HTH

And don't forget, before you bolt the motor to the sunroof frame, connect it to the harness and operate the full closure. This will reteach it the roof's closed position. If not, the motor can try and slide or tilt when it shouldn't.

Right, this gets weirder. I just tried the old motor (not attached to anything) the fuse didn't blow but the motor would start moving and then slow down/stop, that was tilt and slide, it would do a few revolution s and then slow down as though there was a flat battery. Tried the motor that is attached to the sunroof/car, tilted fine, then popped the fuse when I tried to wind it back down. Everything seems to move freely when I uwe the allen key?

The motor runs at different speeds for sliding (slows down before fully closing the roof) but I can't remember what the tilt does.

I think you're just unfortunate enough to have 2 duff motors.

Did you do the full closure thing before operating the s/roof switch?

The motor runs at different speeds for sliding (slows down before fully closing the roof) but I can't remember what the tilt does.

I think you're just unfortunate enough to have 2 duff motors.

Did you do the full closure thing before operating the s/roof switch?

One motor hasn't been off so it should be in the right position and the other is still off the frame. Don't understand why the original one is no longer working and the new one blows the fuse. I should have stuck to air cooled, so much simpler

Been there, done that. Not sure I agree...

Aircooled? I've always found them pretty easy, rewired both of my buggies in a weekend each.

Just had another play. Removed the golf motor from the mech and it doesn't do anything, just clicks. Fitted the original corrado motor and it will tilt and go down again but it will open about an inch then you have to keep pressing the open button for it to move a few mm at a time' the same with closing. Does that sound like it's the motor that's duff?

If the roof slides manually OK, then yep, the motor is knackered. I had an ebay splurge a while back and bought 4 or 5. All but 2 of them did as you describe.

Either that or the sliding mechs have become too stiff for the motor to overcome. It's hard to gauge when winding it manually. The plastic feet on the water plate guides get hot and break up, as well as binding. The correct grease is critical on these. They get dry and most previous owners tend not to grease them periodically.