Sign in to follow this  
PhatVR6

21MPG

I took all the plugs out to check. 1-5 were slightly red, which is normal for optimax users apparently, but number 6 looked like it'd never even been used. this made me panic, as I was thinking straight away there was no compression in number 6, but after a mate told me to check the injectors I found the fault.

I unplugged them all, and tested them individually by poking them in a cup and putting 12v on them direct off the battery. number 6 wasn't opening at all. so I fitted a different one which works. I'll have it running in about an hour I reckon.

no wonder it felt lumpy and a bit flat!!

I'l eager to find out how it'll go on all 6 if it performs like that on 5!!!

cheers for all the suggestions. and major thanks to Matt at Design dubs for all the help.

Nice one mate. Knew you'd get there in the end.

Who'd have thought it was the injectors ay? They very rarely go wrong, so you've been unlucky there. Well done for checking the plugs too, the obvious is sometimes overlooked and they are a key indicator as to what the engine is up to.

Red plugs, curious. Mine are green! I use Optimax too. NGK are puzzled and so is everybody else I've mentioned it to.

K

I think phatty has some good news :)

his car was quite impressive considering it was running on 5 cylinders - I would say it was on a par with a 2.0 16v corrado.

It must be mental now!

Oh yes, it is! it's quite mental really.

Roll on Curborough and Kames :D

You making the trip up to Scotland for Kames mate? See you there then, I can't wait to see your car.