ross k

removing a bumper but the bolts wont budge

hi guys ive been trying to remove my front bumper from my corrado however i cant get three of the four bolts to budge has anyone got any tips and i am supporting the centre of the bar with a jack is this common thanks ross

Id try spraying the bolts with penetrating fluid for a week or so let it get right it there

You can also try giving them a good smack with a hammer to kind of shock them a tad , that sounds pikey'ish but it does sometimes work , just hit them straight on the head of the bolt

Are you using a ratchet and long bar or a long breaker bar ? A ratchet will flex slightly , use a breaker and slowly use all your force

If your having problems trying to keep the socket on the bolt i suppose you could always use a jack to support it at the bolt so you can use both hands on the bar

If all else fails heat and lots of it should shift them

I had problems with removing mine. Use impact type sockets ie with only 6 sides to grip the bolts and as redborbet says put a jack under the socket/wrench to stop is coming off the bolt. It worked for me.

The bolt is approx 70mm long but its only the 10mm at the tip that screws from below the car into the captive nuts on the bumper brackets. This being the case I dont think you can get penetrating oil anywhere near the area thats seized, likewise heat.

[ATTACH]74677[/ATTACH][ATTACH]74678[/ATTACH]

Some photos may show what I mean. Bumper bracket with bolt it situ, and then a close up of the captive bolt. I dont think its possible to get access to the seized area ie captive nuts.

[ATTACH]74678[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]74677[/ATTACH]

Some photos may show what I mean. Bumper bracket with bolt it situ, and then a close up of the captive bolt. I dont think its possible to get access to the seized area ie captive nuts.

Edit: seem to be having problems attaching today!

Edited by bmwcompact

Have you got a local friendly garage that can get them cracked for you?

Should only take 5 mins to get the car up/impact gun/car down.

Yeah i use a weight lifting bar when removing them bolts goes over the breaker bar and sticks out far enough in front of the car to saves climbing underneath, used it on my car and the GFs VR and has worked a treat everytime

[ATTACH]74679[/ATTACH]

Edited by Jon_vr6

Yeah i use a weight lifting bar when removing them bolts goes over the breaker bar and sticks out far enough in front of the car to saves climbing underneath, used it on my car and the GF and has worked a treat everytime

[ATTACH]74679[/ATTACH]

Do you also use penetrating lube on the gf?

cheers for the help guys will try a few might be worth taking to my friend with a garage to use an impact gun been a bit wary because the one ive removed has ruined thread on the bolt so need to get a new one cheers guys

well i persevered today and finally victory

bumper1.jpg

thanks for the help guys i need a new bolt now though anyone know where i can get one or what size it is ?