Benjevw

A Few Timing Questions VR6

Hi guys I'm currently half way through replacing my timing chains on my 93' VR. I'm upto the point where I've got the cam locks in and timing covers off but have a few questions that need answering hopefully by tonight so I can get it all ready to put back together!!

First off, My crank pulley doesn't have a timing mark on it! I lined up the cams so the cam lock plate fits in perfectly with equal gap either side. Is this ok?

Couldn't find any sort of thread on lining up TDC on the flywheel either so I just removed the timing covers as it was.

I'm hoping this is ok but just want to check!

Second, does the mk4 tensioner bolt need to be submerged in oil and depressed?

Or just soaked in oil and fitted?

Any help is greatly appreciated so thanks in advance.

Can't wait to finally be able to properly boot it :D

Cheers

Ben

No the MK4 tensioner doesn't need any preperation, just whack it in.

There definitely is a timing mark on the crank pulley. You're either not seeing it or your pulley has been messed with in some way. The notch in the pulley is very small and it lines up with a mark on the crank seal cover.

I would follow the wiki guide to the letter personally.

No the MK4 tensioner doesn't need any preperation, just whack it in.

There definitely is a timing mark on the crank pulley. You're either not seeing it or your pulley has been messed with in some way. The notch in the pulley is very small and it lines up with a mark on the crank seal cover.

I would follow the wiki guide to the letter personally.

Cheers kev

I've looked everywhere on the crank pulley for a mark (front/back and all the way around) but can't see anything!

When I practised timing on my other spare engine (95' VR aaa), the mark on the pulley was easy to find!

That's odd then as it should be there!

If not then, get all the other timing steps done and when you take the timing covers off, the ground tooth on the crank sprocket should line up with the main bearing cap seam, the intermediate shaft sprocket arrow should line up with a mark on the block and the cam tool will insert easily.

If all that is true, you can ignore the missing crank mark.

That's odd then as it should be there!

If not then, get all the other timing steps done and when you take the timing covers off, the ground tooth on the crank sprocket should line up with the main bearing cap seam, the intermediate shaft sprocket arrow should line up with a mark on the block and the cam tool will insert easily.

If all that is true, you can ignore the missing crank mark.

I did read that some earlier vr's didn't have the timing mark on the pulley! Which is pretty silly!

I currently have the cam locks in place and timing covers removed by following the wiki so these marks should line up then!

What's the procedure if they are not lined up?

Cheers kev, real help mate

Ben

My VR didn't have a mark on the crank pulley either and mine is an early coil pack. I set my timing using the intermediate markings and finding TDC. You could then see the marking line on the flywheel. I rotated my engine over by hand a few times once I loosely fitted the tensioner, just to make sure everything was lining up, and then ended up putting a mark on the crank pulley using a hammer and screwdriver just in case I needed to do it again in the future.

Sweet! Cheers buddy. If all goes to plan ill have it done tonight and ill put some pictures up. Also ill mark the crank pulley like you said just to make it easier in the future!

Last question :)

Is the DIRKO sealant ok to use on the timing covers?

I bought it to seal a sump as its apparently the correct 'vw' stuff!

If not what else should I use?

Cheers

Ben

I just use the blue stuff most garages sell, hylomar blue its sometimes called although see loads of similar things from different companies. Its a non-setting stuff apparently.

Cool cheers jim

Would DIRKO not be suitable then?

Problem is I can't really get anywhere to get some atm while its off the road so would be ideal if I could use this stuff!

Just googled it and seems like the same stuff, am sure my rocker cover had that on it. Just don't use loads, i don't even apply it with the nozzle, i squeeze it onto my finger and smear a light layer around.

VW specify different sealants for the sump and chain covers and I would stick to it personally. Some people get an oil leak from from the upper chain cover (behind the thermostat housing) when it's not been sealed up properly.

This is what VAG specify for the chain covers - http://www.loctite.co.uk/loctite-4087.htm?countryCode=uke&BU=industrial&parentredDotUID=productfinder&redDotUID=1000000IYNE

Just googled it and seems like the same stuff, am sure my rocker cover had that on it. Just don't use loads, i don't even apply it with the nozzle, i squeeze it onto my finger and smear a light layer around.

Cheers for that jim, that'll save a bit of money then :)

Thanks guys

Ben