eugopnosaj

Need help pricing a car...

So, my grandad sadly passed away last Friday and we've been going through the proceedings. One of the things is that we have to value all of his assets for the will etc. One of these includes a 1980/81 X reg Porsche 924 which unfortately has seen better days.

He was driving it up until about 5/6 years ago which would have put him in his early 80's! It just got to a point where he couldn't really get into it anymore, so he bought himself a Puma (not really MUCH better but hey). Anyway its been sat on the drive, not being washed or anything, the tyres are flat as you can see and the interior is going a bit mouldy.

I appreciate that I could have washed it and taken better shots but if I'm honest, that's not really on the top of my list of things to do...

So I need a bit of help just to value the car as it is, not what it might be worth. Generally it is in good condition, there are a couple of dents in the wings and surprisingly hardly any rust. Obviously it hasn't been started in a long time but from what i remember everything worked.

It has full electric windows and the metal sunroof, everything is genuine, the service history is unknown but i believe we have most of it (another thing we'll have to find).

Please take into account that the car is dirty and would need a blow out to get rid of the cobwebs etc, I just need a rough estimate, based on the 924 being in a cleaner condition.

Please see photos, any advice would be much appreciated. I'm not sure where we need this information for but the sooner the better for the will etc.

Thanks for your help in advance.

20130626_193228_zpsa746d299.jpg

20130626_193211_zps1d33146f.jpg

20130626_193053_zps7612d008.jpg

20130626_193015_zps6409f286.jpg

20130626_193003_zpsbcebb2de.jpg

20130626_192941_zps9a810a43.jpg

20130626_192907_zps794af18d.jpg

20130626_192901_zpsa9e39e45.jpg

20130626_192826_zps7d8432dc.jpg

20130626_192807_zps6de9a851.jpg

Have a look on ebay mate. Obviously its gonna be at the lower end of anything on there, but it'll give you a rough idea. There may even be some in a similar state.

Yeah, I've had a quick look, other than ones on auction the cheapest buy it now is £500 for a non runner, similar age but i think the body looks in better condition, although obviously my grandad's is really filthy so maybe £300/£400 or something?

Firstly, my condolences.

Unfortunately these weren't popular cars in the most part. A quick autotrader search reveals that you're probably only looking at about £500-£750 in its current state. Tidied up in looks more like £3000-£5000 but from the pics I'd suggest that'll take quite some tidying.

£300.. A bit more than scrap, but cheap enough for someone to bother to buy.

Check on RRs as well, they'll know and be best port for selling.

Thanks guys, yeah, I've got the same thread going on RR and VZi. I've had the most responses here, but I think this forum is generally better for getting replies anyway. One person on RR reckoned just scrap, someone else suggested £150 scrap value. I know the photos obviously don't show its best side lol but under the circumstances it has to be as the car currently is.

I'm not sure what the plan is with it, I don't know whether it has been specified in the will, it would obviously get tidied up and running before we tried to sell her, or maybe it'll be a project between myself and my brothers (as I know previously it was suggested that I had it, but no doubt they'd argue and moan :haha:)

I think £300 is a reasonable price, I mean after all it is still a Porsche at the end of the day, regardless of it being the less desirable 924.

I think £300-£400 is a reasonable value in its present condition.

If you did have the time and know how, i would look at restoring it or breaking it yourself for spares. As there are people still out there that love them.

Dont give it to the scrap man, as somebody else my want the project and it looks to be all there.

If i was closer, i would loved to help you clean it up from the inside and outside.

Yeah definitely don't scrap it. My old man has been looking for a project now he's retired and something like this would be ideal for him, and I'm sure there are loads like him that would love to save it so I'm sure it can live on.

Oh yeah definitely it'd be a shame to scrap it, he's owned it for years and used to own Jags before that (had a new one every year!) It just got to the point where he was too old to use it. I've got the know how, not so much the time though as I've got a project beetle, its a shame its not an air cooled Porsche haha.

It would be a good tribute to restore it so maybe I'll suggest that to my Nan.