carrots

m12 thread bar

hi been told about some bolts you can buy off ebay to align alloys onto the hub.thing is i can wait for delivery had anyone made there own from m12 thread bar

I reckon the way to go for a DIY one is to buy a 3-4 inch M12 bolt, cut the head off it and round off the cut end. That should leave you with plain section of bar with a threaded section at one end. When screwed into the hub, the wheel will slide nicely along the unthreaded section. Simply trim to your desired length and hopefully you should end up with something as shown below.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-VW-Mercedes-WHEEL-GUIDE-BOLT-ALIGNMENT-TOOL-14mm-/121121056327?pt=UK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Rims_Car_Wheels_ET&hash=item1c3360a647

Edited by leon263

Got to say first that fitting a wheel isn't rocket science and I believe even some women have been trained to complete this task unaided (this is just and unconfirmed rumour, it might just be an urban myth!).

If your hand and eye co-ordination are that bad then go for it, please just remember the bolt thread pitch and that you cannot just go and buy any old bolt and that it will fit. It needs to be M12 x1.5 where as a standard bolt is M12x1.75 HTH

ive got no prob fitting wheels its just when trying to hold the wheel ,stop the disc from moving because the grub screw has broke in hub and hold the spacer in place its and fit the bolt its not that easy

I think ive got a spare one somewhere from the Passat. Its plastic not metal, but does the job and will work on the Corrado - well it does on the VR, not sure if the bolt pitch on the valver is different?

ive got no prob fitting wheels its just when trying to hold the wheel ,stop the disc from moving because the grub screw has broke in hub and hold the spacer in place its and fit the bolt its not that easy

Gets much easier with practice. It sounds like your Corrado has been kind to you if you haven't had the wheels off that much!

Well spotted Sean as mine is a narrow track ie 17mm socket there is still much i need to learn with these little car's,pity you can't make national day there will be some quality motor's there myself included :dance:

Think the VR is M14 whereas all narrow track models are M12 so don't think it'll work Gaz.

The easy way to remember is ................... 4 stud hub, M12 ................... 5 stud hub, M14

Well spotted Sean as mine is a narrow track ie 17mm socket there is still much i need to learn with these little car's,pity you can't make national day there will be some quality motor's there myself included :dance:

Did you mean me not being able to go buddy?

I am deffo going now mate! Fresh MOT and I'm now ready to rock and roll! Pity my diy painting didnt come out very well on the bonnet, Just don't laugh! Lol

Did you mean me not being able to go buddy?

I am deffo going now mate! Fresh MOT and I'm now ready to rock and roll! Pity my diy painting didnt come out very well on the bonnet, Just don't laugh! Lol

Quality I promise not to laugh :rolleyes: Sean there was one at stanford that was a right mess it doesn't matter how it look's it's the fact you own a corrado just got back in from showing a new shape TT he wasn't quick love seeing the look on their face's when you pull away easily tee hee.