Sign in to follow this  
tug

VR6 Timing Chain Tensioner

There's a weird noise coming from me engine! Difficult to explain what it sounds like, but from reading some old posts I think its the timing chain tensioner.

I went to Euro Car Parts to get a quote and the guy there gave me a choice of 3 different parts. If I remember correctly, there was an upper and lower tensioner and a bolt tensioner on their system. Which one do I need to replace?

Also, what's involved in changing the thing?! :)

Thanks.

YOU NEED TO REPLACE THEM ALL!

it's a gearbox off job I'm afraid. loads of threads n here about it already with some good guides of how to do it too.

Right, been doing a bit more reading on the subject & now I'm not so sure it is the tensioner making all the noise!

The noise is coming from the left hand side of the engine and not the right hand side like timing chain/tensioner noise. What could this be? Hydraulic tappets? The reason I ask is its not your typical 'ticking' noise associated with fecked tappets!

Thanks again... :)

Injectors ticking? Quite common. Anything in the belt area making a noise?

The left side of the engine tends to sound tappy as the noise resonates inside the breather section of the rocker cover. No VR6s are silent. They've always been a little tappey like the 16V.

I've noticed my VR6 tapping/rattling (difficult to describe) recently, it's worse when cold but easily noticable at all times. It comes from the left hand side of the engine as you look at it (drivers side), from near or in the head. Sounds quite bad when its cold, almost like a diseasel :(

Is this where the tensioner noise comes from? Mine has done 123k miles! Still goes great though, and i know it's not running under power (well not much if it is) as i got what i was hoping for at the pod.... :?

Another thing i've noticed is that it burns a bit of oil, and when i change gear at high rpm mates in cars behind have said theyve seen the odd little blue puff. Any idea's which seals have gone? Valve seals? How much?? :cry:

Any advice much appreciated lads, cheers 8)

p.s. for any that are interested theres a video of my VR6 in action here: http://users.ox.ac.uk/~alexm/random/VR6.wmv bring it on 306s hehe :twisted:

Ok...so is that where the noise would be coming from? How much to get it fixed? Should I avoid driving it? I've read the "how to change you're tensioners" guide and it looks like a mission and a half!

No, the tensioner is *definitely* on the right hand side of the engine. All I was saying is they could still be dodgy, and are worth watching for at that mileage.

What you're describing is probably either "normal" VR ticking (fuel rail or something), or possibly something wearing on the aux belt. Perhaps the belt itself is starting to catch somewhere? I'd inspect the belt myself, given that prompting.

Cool video!

That little puff of grey/blue I saw isn't too drastic. I've seen a lot worse

I would imagine the oil was very hot and thin after that bit of caning you gave it. I reckon the guides are on the way out. Check plugs 1 and 6 when you get a moment and look for oil fouling on the plug tips.

At 123K I would avoid driving it like that until you've had the tensioners checked. The might be OK but better to be safe than sorry.

Anything in the belt area making a noise?

There shouldn't be anything in the belt area making a noise. In the past month I've had to replace the belt tensioner (read the post on changing the pulley bearings a week too late!) , the belt itself and the water pump.

I'd agree with kebabman about the almost 'diesely' noise the engine makes when its cold. This is my first VR6, not used to what's normal and what isn't yet! :)

Cheers for the advice everyone...

[i'd agree with kebabman about the almost 'diesely' noise the engine makes when its cold. This is my first VR6, not used to what's normal and what isn't yet! :)

Cheers for the advice everyone...

That's piston slap or camshaft rattle. A lot of VRs do that but it should go as the metal expands, usually within 30 seconds or so.

K

Is the breather section of the rocker cover that alloy block thingy on the far left hand side of the engine? Most of the noise seems to come from there...

The breather box is the raised section of the rocker cover, adjacent to the 1st runner of the inlet manifold.

Tappet noise reverberates in that chamber, amplifying the noise. The majority of VR engines sound the same mate, I shouldn't worry about it.

You should only concern yourself with timing chain noises, smoke and power loss.

K

Not much then..... :lol:

Mine smokes worse than that... and that smoke is when you are coasting to junction and accelerating out.. so that will be valve guides then. Like Kev says check 1 and 6.... get leakdown and compression test done if the plugs are fouling up...

If the head needs to come off then do the tensioners - especially the top ones...