Sign in to follow this  
mrbeige

Mrs Badcrumble 2.0 16v....

Tom, this is the 2e piston....

DSC02350.jpg

This is the 9a piston....

DSC02351.jpg

So we have to change the crank pulley, intermediate shaft, oil pump, dizzy block-off plate. Here is a piccie of the two intermediate shafts. They are pretty much identical apart from where the pulley mounts....

DSC02359.jpg

Intermediate shaft bearing shell a lot more healthy looking that the 9a one :D

DSC02363.jpg

The crank pulley has to be changed along with the intermediate shaft to allow the 16v head and cam pulley to work. Here is the 2e one...

DSC02352.jpg

And here is the 9a one, note the 9a one is wider...

DSC02358.jpg

Two oil pumps are different. 9a one is at the front...

DSC02365.jpg

Also removed the carbon canister and some of the wiring not needed and discovered this....

DSC02369.jpg

Clearly there has bee a problem with shorting out and funnily enough it is the wiring for the headlights! A lot of the wires underneath that manky insulation tape, the insulation has completely disintegrated! :shock:

Had a good chat with a collegue from work and he has suggested that I completely rewire the whole front end of the car. It makes perfect sense to me as I will have to do the wiring loom for the squirt anyway and the existing wiring is nearly 15 years old and likely to be a bit buggered anyway. So I'm going to make use of the Rally spec wiring we have at work and do a proper job!!

Had a good chat with a collegue from work and he has suggested that I completely rewire the whole front end of the car. It makes perfect sense to me as I will have to do the wiring loom for the squirt anyway and the existing wiring is nearly 15 years old and likely to be a bit buggered anyway. So I'm going to make use of the Rally spec wiring we have at work and do a proper job!!

And purpose built Upgrade to the headlight wiring as well?

And purpose built Upgrade to the headlight wiring as well?

Indeed.... :D

Managed to get some more done on the project (need to keep my enthusiasm up)

Eventually, after 6 separate attempts, I managed to finally get the crank pulley bolt out. I'm sure someone had welded it in and the put some threadlock from hell in there! So with that out, I could take the pistons and rods off the crank, then remove the crank. The main bearing shells look in good shape, but I think I'm going to use diesel bearing shells. Conrod shells look good too.

Pistons looked a but shabby, but after a quick clean with some degresser and a washing up sponge (you know, the yellow ones with a scrubbing side, from Tescos! :lol: )......Think I need to get a stiff bristled(sp?) brush, to get into the grooves where the rings sit though.

Before

DSC02423.jpg

After

DSC02420.jpg

DSC02421.jpg

The is an odd mark on one of the bores, but I'm wondering if it a fix to the casting?

DSC02429.jpg

Had a go at cleaning the block up too, looks mightily better already

DSC02424.jpg

DSC02430.jpg

Just need to give the bottom edge of it another go with the 'Tetroclean' and a wire brush, then sort out some paint! Decided to go for the OEM look on the install, so the block with be painted silver (although still toying with doing it black).

nice one,

I stripped and de-greased my 3a block 2day.I think i'll paint mine black.

So have you got everything that you need then?

Not by any means dude. Got bits and bobs, but I'm in no rush anyway.

Are you planning on getting your intermediate shaft machined true?

The dirty great big cam is for a fuel pump on a 1 litre back in 1979 or something. You can get that machined off but then the shaft is cast slightly offset so that needs thinning too so it will balance. A lot of excess weight that can be removed from something that does not need it.

The dirty great big cam is for a fuel pump on a 1 litre back in 1979 or something. You can get that machined off but then the shaft is cast slightly offset so that needs thinning too so it will balance. A lot of excess weight that can be removed from something that does not need it.

There doesn't seem to be a cam on the intermediate shaft out of the 9a? Not unless I'm missing something obvious??

There doesn't seem to be a cam on the intermediate shaft out of the 9a? Not unless I'm missing something obvious??

Humn, my bad. :)

Humn, my bad. :)

Well, I think some of intermediate shafts do have that lobe on them. :?

Made a couple of purchases today. Got myself an engine stand from machine mart...

020110455.jpg

And bought a POR15 Engine paint kit....

094_933.jpg

Next stop, VW, for some bearing shells and gaskets....

Yarp!

Looking forward to getting th block on the standa painted up, read for some re-assembly action!! :D:D:D

8)

So your squirting yours rite?!

Have you started that aspect of the install or are you going to worry about that after??

Yarp!

Here's one I made earlier...Blue Peter stylie

MS_Complete_Outside.jpg

I also quite like the idea of installing the MegaView Digital Dashboard into the cockpit. Taken from another website...

"MegaView is an add-on accessory for the MegaSquirt Electronic Fuel Injection System, providing real-time display of all engine operating parameters, and allowing for the edit of any configuration variable in the MegaSquirt ECU. This dual-function device was designed to be mounted in an automotive dashboard to provide feedback on all critical engine parameters or housed in an enclosure for use as a portable tuning device.

Features:

MegaView utilizes a high-efficiency Vacuum Fluorescent Display (VFD) which is easy to read in any light conditions, making it perfect for an installed dashboard application. In addition, the wide-operating range of the VFD is perfect for low temperature operation.

MegaView offers two operation modes: Runtime which displays the current engine operating parameters in "ticker-tape" scroll format, and Configurator whcih allows the edit of any of the MegaSquit variables in real-time.

In Runtime Ticker-tape mode, the parameters displayed include current engine operation state (cranking, running, etc), enrichments, barometric pressure, engine MAP, coolant and intake air temperature, all computed enrichments, and injector pulsewidth. The automatic scroll mode can be frozen at any time in order to monitor any desired variable. In addition, any monitored parameter which is outside of normal operating conditions will "flash" on the display, alerting the driver of a possible adverse situation in real time."

MV_Dark.jpg

Agreed.

I've seen that.

Was thinking about that myself.

For me I hate not being able to have access to live engine parameters and sensor conditions like you can on a VR.

The G60 ecu is very much a black box.

For me,its got to be megasquirt next step. 8)

So it will be nice to have easy access to engine parameters either via laptop or via a unit like megaview.

Keep up the bad work.

:D

I like the idea of the Megaview, but I'd be interested in improving the display a little, it would look non-standard and my plan is to try and do a very OEM+ look in the cabin.

At the risk of sounding a bit 2 fast 2 furious, a configurable display that you could see via a video head unit thing would be nice. and would be hidable....

...i'm thinking more along the lines of just having as much info as possible post install.

So it would probably look a bit "back to the future ish :shock:

I would hide it all after that once it was running stable.

You don't really want to hide it permanently though, as it also acts as a warning screen if any of the engine parameters are outiside normal operating conditions.

You don't really want to hide it permanently though, as it also acts as a warning screen if any of the engine parameters are outiside normal operating conditions.

I think I'd want in somehow integrated into the instrament cluster..

Well, I've made some progress on stripping the old wiring looms out that go into the engine bay. I ended up unplugging everything from the fusebox. Not sure if that was the most intelligent of decisions :lol: Didn't think it would take long to do, but 3 hours later...

DSC02452.jpg

The bay looks loads less cluttered withou the wiring, so I think I'm going to definately hide the wiring in the chassis legs... :)

DSC02453.jpg

Condition of the battery tray is better than I thought

DSC02456.jpg

So just need to sort all this lot out now :shock:

DSC02471.jpg