Jim Bowen

Starting to think about moving on

Had the corrado coming up for 8yrs now. Driven about 80,000miles in it. Replaced most things on it.

But am having thoughts of maybe keeping it another year or so and use that time to think about what to get.

Corrado will need a complete respray at some point. Was about to try and rebuild the original engine. That will cost quite a chunk of money and time. I'm considering not bothering and selling off all the parts I have.

I have enjoyed working on it and glad I started learning mechanics at the deep end. But it's getting me thinking its never going to end and I'd only truly be happy building one from a bare shell.

Not sure what would replace it. Suitable for all year round. Something I can work on. Similar performance to corrado. Don't need spare seats or doors or any luggage space. Suitable for bad condition b roads. Corrado manages but doesn't like it. Really got no clue what I like. Apart from an early Honda nsx. (Which is really out of my price range)

I understand entirely where you're coming from! You just think about the bills you need to spend to keep it on the road.. and think what else you could get for the money. It's hard to make the argument for the Corrado sometimes, even if you do really enjoy driving it.

Its hard to choose anything else. The corrado does seem ideal but always seems to have at least one thing that needs sorting out.

I think driving it so much and driving fast on the rough roads is killing it. Would be best as a weekend car.

Quite like the idea of a bowler wildcat thingy. Lol

I've been thinking about scratching a Clio 182 shaped itch for the last few weeks :| They're pretty affordable now..

I was in the same boat a few weeks back, sell it, break it or fix it up and keep as a project/weekend car.

My car has been sorn for the past year with mechanical issues that i could not find the time or enthusiasm to fix, so it has sat out in all weathers and is currently looking very sorry for itself. I use a company van for work so was in no desperate need of a car.

I came very close to pulling the plug and breaking it up for parts. I test drove a few cars and very nearly bought a red 07 a4 s-line avant quattro special edition but changed my mind at the 11th hour, well actually i kind of talked myself out of buying it lol.

So... ive decided to give it one more go, just this last time, one more chance, throw money at it, throw time at it, and the next time it breaks expensively then its goodbye!!

...maybe ;)

Edited by G60_Marc

I've been thinking about scratching a Clio 182 shaped itch for the last few weeks :| They're pretty affordable now..

Really Jim! :scratch:

JB, just remember that the grass isn't always greener! No matter what car you buy of any generation, it'll cost you money. I entirely understand if its your daily, but getting another car of similar age will only result in you throwing money at that too. People whine about how high Corrado parts are, but when it comes to consumables (clutch/pumps/brake disks & pads/service items etc) then its actually quite cheap. Compare that to a newer car, and it'll cost you probably double for each of those items. Same goes for most of the older non VAG cars about that don't share a platform with another.

Inevitably people get bored or just loose the enthusiasm of owning a Corrado, I'm not there yet but I'm not immune. There comes a time when everyone has to pass the baton on, and you've owned the car far longer than most JB so for that.........:salute:

Jim, thats exactly how i felt mate and the reason i sold mine a mere 2 weeks ago. Mechanically it was sound, though with the odd niggle, but the bodywork started to need attention and i just didnt have the money for it. I do miss it, but its kind of a relief i dont have to worry about what will break next - which is more of a worry when it was a daily. Sure i drive a passat tdi wagon, but i love it, its not the Corrado though.. but i know i can depend on it.

Funnily enough i sold it to a guy who was in the bodywork line of work, so i see it as fate and the right thing to do.

Good luck with what ever decision you mate :)

Edited by Critical_Mass

Oh dear seem's you really have lost the love for the corrado A clio 182 surely you can think of something better Jim i really can't see you in one of these i have been in a couple of these and they are no where near a corrado and i mean no where spanked a couple of them with the R32 and it wasn't even stretching it's leg's. Your choice though mate.

I get a little despondent with it sometimes. The last few months have just been one thing after the other, but finally the mechanical side is sound again, the suspension is pretty much sorted and it has 12 months MOT. Suddenly it's an amazing car again, and I can't think of anything else I'd rather have right now.

I did have an Audi A4 TDI for a while, and although it was newer, I got bored with it after about 6 months and it started needing money spending on it too. Clutch (plus dual mass flywheel) and timing belt would have cost me about £500-£600 in a garage so I got rid.

Oh dear seem's you really have lost the love for the corrado A clio 182 surely you can think of something better Jim i really can't see you in one of these i have been in a couple of these and they are no where near a corrado and i mean no where spanked a couple of them with the R32 and it wasn't even stretching it's leg's. Your choice though mate.

I love hot hatches to be honest and it's not all about flat out / top speed.. besides, how much performance do you need on the roads these days? :)

I was in the same boat a few weeks back, sell it, break it or fix it up and keep as a project/weekend car.

My car has been sorn for the past year with mechanical issues that i could not find the time or enthusiasm to fix, so it has sat out in all weathers and is currently looking very sorry for itself. I use a company van for work so was in no desperate need of a car.

I came very close to pulling the plug and breaking it up for parts. I test drove a few cars and very nearly bought a red 07 a4 s-line avant quattro special edition but changed my mind at the 11th hour, well actually i kind of talked myself out of buying it lol.

So... ive decided to give it one more go, just this last time, one more chance, throw money at it, throw time at it, and the next time it breaks expensively then its goodbye!!

...maybe ;)

The trouble with keeping them as weekend/project cars is, it all starts out with good intentions and thoughts about how great it is just to have it as a toy and you chuck loads of money at it and rebuild engines to a higher spec and then sort the brakes and suspension and mint the whole car up then you lose even more interest and enthusiasm in it, Then if you make the mistake of buying a much more modern faster more capable car for everyday use then that really throws a spanner in the works! Some will have you believe there really is nothing more capable on the road for the money still!! Well im afraid there is... A Good VR6 is still fetching in the region of 4.5k upwards, for that money there are a lot more capable fun cars on the road... IMO

I love hot hatches to be honest and it's not all about flat out / top speed.. besides, how much performance do you need on the roads these days? :)

Price up a cam belt change on a 182.

Power on tap is always nice to have, rush hour at a large and busy roundabout or overtaking on a country road for example.

Ask a mechanic if they'd own a French car - most wouldn't unless its a gift

Most modern cars also have failings which present the owners with large bills and all the time they're depreciating heavily too.

Trying to sell non diesel car at the moment is a nightmare, I'm breaking my 5th car in 5 years (Mk3 golf tdi estate - rotten but very proffitable, Golf V5 estate, Seat Toledo V5, Octavia 1.8T L&K and now an Audi 80 V6 cab) because no one wants them

Life is short and we are the lucky ones to be given the chance at enjoying it. So don't live life with regrets at what you haven't tried. If it's time to move on then do it. You can always return back to Corrado ownership and with the knowledge most of us have it wont be hard to find another good one.

Price up a cam belt change on a 182.

Power on tap is always nice to have, rush hour at a large and busy roundabout or overtaking on a country road for example.

Ask a mechanic if they'd own a French car - most wouldn't unless its a gift

Most modern cars also have failings which present the owners with large bills and all the time they're depreciating heavily too.

Trying to sell non diesel car at the moment is a nightmare, I'm breaking my 5th car in 5 years (Mk3 golf tdi estate - rotten but very proffitable, Golf V5 estate, Seat Toledo V5, Octavia 1.8T L&K and now an Audi 80 V6 cab) because no one wants them

I did expect this sort of response to be honest. Probably easier if I just say nothing more on the subject on here! :) Seeking opinions on PistonHeads, I got slightly less bias responses about the Clio - in fact was overwhelmed at how well liked they are.

Edited by Jim

Life is short and we are the lucky ones to be given the chance at enjoying it. So don't live life with regrets at what you haven't tried. If it's time to move on then do it. You can always return back to Corrado ownership and with the knowledge most of us have it wont be hard to find another good one.

Very well said! When I have a big decision to make, I think that provided I've thought about the major consequences and worked out what I think the likely outcomes will be, then I can't regret my choice because it was the right one for me at the time.

You can always come back. Just don't break it! So many being broken these days!

I was planning to break it :lol:

Am hoping that after a year from now, my mate will have his new workshop he keeps going on about, and there maybe a chance for me to store it there quite cheaply. That would be my best plan, i could do it all properly then and buy another car to drive (would be happy with a simple hot hatch if i knew corrado was waiting for me)

Just been looking up prices for a new or nearly new Subaru Brz/Toyota GT86 as i like them, but that plan seems an expensive one and a quick way to lose money. Deprecation = 10-13k(ish) in 3yrs.

I'm feeling the same way too :( however, I can't really find anything as good for the same money as the Storm as a replacement. BAM Cupra R and WRX estate are where I'm currently at...

Jim, maybe worth giving LauraJ a pm. Pretty sure her and Ross bought a 182 after the VR.

Jim Bowen, what about a 350z or S2000?

Edited by CazzaVR

Just been looking up prices for a new or nearly new Subaru Brz/Toyota GT86 as i like them, but that plan seems an expensive one and a quick way to lose money. Deprecation = 10-13k(ish) in 3yrs.

They look awesome - have been talking about them with a mate in the office. I reckon I'd wait a couple of years and let someone take the hit on the depreciation, then look into one?

I did expect this sort of response to be honest. Probably easier if I just say nothing more on the subject on here! :) Seeking opinions on PistonHeads, I got slightly less bias responses about the Clio - in fact was overwhelmed at how well liked they are.

A mate had one, had it written off by a drunk driver and got a good pay out, much better than what he was being offered for it as a part exchange against a turbo Leon, he doesn't want another Clio :)

I was planning to break it :lol:

Deprecation = 10-13k(ish) in 3yrs.

:( and ouch.

From observation, I think it goes in waves..

1. love your car for a bit

2. something goes wrong or something else appeals

then either decide to

3. persevere

4. fix

5. drive it, grin (and receive a couple of compliments if you're lucky) and return to 1.

or

3. sell

4. all is well for a while until something breaks on the new car/honeymoon period ends/see or hear a nice example on the roads/stumble across a photo of your old car/pop back onto the forum just to see what's going on because we're such a lovely lot!

5. regret

6. say 'I shouldn't have sold the Corrado'

7. buy a Corrado

8. return to 1.!!

I've lost count of the number of times I've heard no. 6. and this comes from those who are fortunate enough to be in a position to come back.

However, to all of you who are thinking about selling and trying out something else, then I say go for it provided that you're fairly confident you'll be glad that you did. After all who knows what you might be missing?!! It might be the best thing you do car-wise and you might not miss the Corrado at all... maybe!

I've had mine for 8 years now and it still makes me smile every time I drive it, I'm still proud to be an owner and be part of such a great community, and I'm still grateful to own such a lovely car. I can't see any of that disappearing any time soon, and until it does there is no chance of me selling. Not unless I absolutely have to.

I was very close to selling up recently, and I still sometimes have thoughts to. Someone on another thread made a good point though - If you're still looking back at your Corrado when you park it up to admire it, then you will definitely regret it!

Forced Induction is the answer ;)

If I were in the market for a similarly priced/age car though (after selling the VR) I'd probably take a punt on a Celica GT4 (Once you get over the stupid looking spoiler;) )

I had a 182 Cup after my last Corrado, was an ok car but I have now bought another VR6 which says it all really.

The 182 has similar speed and acceleration to the VR6 but needs to be revved to make the most of it. The handling is also similar but the Clio has sharper turn in whilst the 'Rado is more planted and stable at speed. Build quality was awful on my Clio and it cost more to maintain my 45k mile example than my 160k Corrado.

That's my brief unsolicited, unbiased comparison. :-)

:( and ouch.

From observation, I think it goes in waves..

1. love your car for a bit

2. something goes wrong or something else appeals

then either decide to

3. persevere

4. fix

5. drive it, grin (and receive a couple of compliments if you're lucky) and return to 1.

or

3. sell

4. all is well for a while until something breaks on the new car/honeymoon period ends/see or hear a nice example on the roads/stumble across a photo of your old car/pop back onto the forum just to see what's going on because we're such a lovely lot!

5. regret

6. say 'I shouldn't have sold the Corrado'

7. buy a Corrado

8. return to 1.!!

I've lost count of the number of times I've heard no. 6. and this comes from those who are fortunate enough to be in a position to come back.

However, to all of you who are thinking about selling and trying out something else, then I say go for it provided that you're fairly confident you'll be glad that you did. After all who knows what you might be missing?!! It might be the best thing you do car-wise and you might not miss the Corrado at all... maybe!

I've had mine for 8 years now and it still makes me smile every time I drive it, I'm still proud to be an owner and be part of such a great community, and I'm still grateful to own such a lovely car. I can't see any of that disappearing any time soon, and until it does there is no chance of me selling. Not unless I absolutely have to.

spot on Fay. I have repeated the process 5 times. Currently have two Classic Green VRs and determnined to hold on to at least one of them long term. Though, I am pondering a Clio 172/182 as a daily myself to try and keep some miles off.

Jim, worth looking at Harry Metcalfes Evo Diary this month regarding his Clio Trophy. He placed it third in an Evo car of the year a few years ago. It was shaking off a Lambo Gallardo through the twisties! The Trophy I could see replacing my C for rarity and character, but realluy I would need to be looking at a Porker 964/993 or a BMW E46 M3 CSL to experience the feelings I have towards the VR6.