g0ldf1ng3r

Pending top end rebuild & breathing work – request for help with advice, part numbers

Hi all

I am currently preparing to send my VR6 into Stealth for a top end rebuild & some opportunistic improvements, it is at around the 145K miles at present.

I work with a partner company of ‘The UK Parts Alliance’ & am hoping to source some of the parts I need through work as it should help with cost saving.

With all the expertise & knowledge on here I would really appreciate your help & advice regarding part numbers & preferred part manufacturers & any additional work ive not thought of but would be timely to carry out..

I am planning on asking Stealth to carry out the following:

Rebuild the top end - as I have a small amount of smoking after the 1st start up of the day & thus believe my valve stem seals to be in need of replacing

Change the chains & tensioner – as I think they are still the original

Drop some 263 cams in

Fit a BMC CDA

New clutch

Remap ECU accordingly

I am also thinking it would be a pertinent time to renew any tired or worn parts that are related to the above work……..EG I am thinking of:

A full set of roose motorsport coolant system hoses

Change all of the coolant system sensors - I think there are 3

Fit new thermostat housing & seals

New rocker cover gasket

Possibly new expansion tank or seal – as though it was from VW & fitted when I changed the radiator 2 years ago the bugger leaks a little

My main quandary at the moment is trying to think if there are any other parts it would make sense to renew whilst the above work is being carried out & I was hoping you kind people could help?

For example:

I am unsure if it might be a good time to change the engine & gearbox mounts?

Would it be a good idea to fit some magnecor ignition leads?

Are there any other sensors or parts I should change whilst things are apart?

I already have the thermostat housing & seals & the rocker cover gasket but would appreciate it if anyone can help with part numbers for the remaining parts.

Also, I know there are mixed views on the differing manufacturers of parts & would welcome any feedback on which would be preferable for the various parts.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice :D

PS I am also thinking of replacing my tired exhaust system from downpipe back & am currently considering vortex, longlife & powerflow – thoughts anyone?

If you supply parts to a garage and there's a failure the garage are within there rights to charge again to replace them. If you're spending this sort of money you want it right, stealth will have their preferred suppliers of proven parts, why compromise this to save £100?

If you supply parts to a garage and there's a failure the garage are within there rights to charge again to replace them. If you're spending this sort of money you want it right, stealth will have their preferred suppliers of proven parts, why compromise this to save £100?

good point Dox & i agree in theory - this is why i was only really thinking of getting the cooling sensors / hoses myself & possibly mounts - chains/tensioners, valves etc etc will be sourced by stealth

my apologies if this did not come across in my post

I kind of agree with Dox. The list you want doing is going to cost you a fair whack anyway so the little saving and extra hassle will be offset. The price stealth quote will include things like gaskets etc. Bear in mind they'll have a trade account anyway, and have never been accused of ripping people off, I think the price for parts will be pretty decent regardless. You'll be paying very little extra for labour either as most of the stuff you're saying will need to come off regardless. I'd give them a bell and ask for a quote as well as any suggestions they may have to replace things. They may well be happy for you to supply parts, they're quite a friendly bunch by all accounts!

Yeah you can supply your own parts when getting jobs done at stealth, i did when getting the bottom end rebuilt. Im sure Vince will recommend any extra work thermostat housing etc as they go along

Thanks guys. I think i should have thought more about my original post.......ive spoke to vince a few times & yes he has no qualms with me supplying some of the parts & he also agreed & recommended replacing several parts that they will have to take off as part of the work.

I want to leave the supply of 'critical' parts to vince as he has the expertise there but i thought for sensors & mounts etc i could potentially make a big saving by sourcing through work.

An example of such would be my colleague was quoted approx £150 for a cv part from VW, & they wanted the original in return, but through work he sourced the same part for about £25 delivered & no exchange basis. thus i thought it has to be worth investigating as the bill is going to be whopper anyway

I had also suggested to vince about replacing the primary water pump & again he agreed it would be sensible.

If anyone can help me with part numbers for the temp sensors, engine & gearbox mounts & primary water pump i would be grateful :)

let's hope his new CV is better than Jason's (pattern part from ECP), which sheared off behind the hub nut due to poor quality manufacture, do you know the manufacturer of it?

let's hope his new CV is better than Jason's (pattern part from ECP), which sheared off behind the hub nut due to poor quality manufacture, do you know the manufacturer of it?

good point, Im not sure davidwort. it is for the reason you mention, IE pattern parts potentially being inferior, that i asked the question about recommended manufacturers as i know there is a wealth of experience regarding such on here

I wouldnt be to much help inside an engine as i havent had to venture in there yet , but last month i replaced coilpack for a beru one , lambda probe for a beru one , vw dealer blue temp sensor , ngk plugs , think either the twin point or single point ones , apparently the vr6 motor doesent like these fancy irridium things !ill post the part num for them

This made the car feel a million times better bud and its all easy stuff to change as its all external

Id put a wanted add up for mounts as im sure there are some people who still have jay renshaws poly mounts sitting around collecting dust , or give him a message but i dont think he visits regular anymore

You have already said your doing the tensioners , im pretty sure the mk4 golf ones can be used and are stronger , but someone else would have to confirm this

I wouldnt be to much help inside an engine as i havent had to venture in there yet , but last month i replaced coilpack for a beru one , lambda probe for a beru one , vw dealer blue temp sensor , ngk plugs , think either the twin point or single point ones , apparently the vr6 motor doesent like these fancy irridium things !ill post the part num for them

This made the car feel a million times better bud and its all easy stuff to change as its all external

Id put a wanted add up for mounts as im sure there are some people who still have jay renshaws poly mounts sitting around collecting dust , or give him a message but i dont think he visits regular anymore

You have already said your doing the tensioners , im pretty sure the mk4 golf ones can be used and are stronger , but someone else would have to confirm this

Appreciate your help redborbet, thank you.

can you recall how much the blue temp sensor was from the stealer?

Ive not heard of the 'jay renshaw poly mounts' you refer to........were they a group buy or something or are they highly recommended?

good point, Im not sure davidwort. it is for the reason you mention, IE pattern parts potentially being inferior, that i asked the question about recommended manufacturers as i know there is a wealth of experience regarding such on here

In the case of Euro Car Parts, if they offer two versions of a part, buy the 'premium' one - will still be a lot cheaper than VW but will probably last better. CV joints are a good case in point. As you say, VW want about £150. ECP had a cheaper part at £30 and the premium one at about £60 - I bought the premium part and no issues so far!

No worries bud , the sensor was 22 quid with a new o ring , make sure you get that , its not critical i dont think but worth it for a couple of quid , the mounts was a group buy that jay renshaw had made specifically for the vr6 i think , either that or you could go with vibratechnics mounts but they are expensive to buy, i beed a gearbox mount and that alone was about 85 quid

No worries bud , the sensor was 22 quid with a new o ring , make sure you get that , its not critical i dont think but worth it for a couple of quid , the mounts was a group buy that jay renshaw had made specifically for the vr6 i think , either that or you could go with vibratechnics mounts but they are expensive to buy, i beed a gearbox mount and that alone was about 85 quid

Ooo might be worth me calling my local stealer if sensors are that kind of price. thanks for the heads up about the o ring!

im not sure if i need to change my mounts......it was an 'opportunistic time' kind of thought trail......is there an easy way to check other than visually

Yep i didnt think it was a bad price really

Get someone to stand in front of the car with the bonnet open and then you sit in the car keep the handbrake on and put it in first and lift the clutch a few times and you should be able to see how much movement there is in the engine

Get someone to stand in front of the car with the bonnet open and then you sit in the car keep the handbrake on and put it in first and lift the clutch a few times and you should be able to see how much movement there is in the engine

Tidy thanks - i will give it a go this weekend :)