Hofmiester

What should my water temprature be?

I had all the coolant system replaced back in May (radiator was done in 2011)

Samco hoses

Themostat and housings

Crack pipe

Blue temp sender

All has been good but in traffic, on a hot day it will creep up to 110c on the gauge. Once moving it settles to 90c. Oil temp is about 95-110 depending on if I'm ragging it. I've seen 116c oil temp on a really hot day a couple of weeks back. Water never goes above 110c

Is the water temp normal?

I'm fitting an oil cooler next week and that should take some of the strain off the coolant system, but I'm wondering if I have a fan issue or Aux water pump?

Thanks

Ron

Edited by Hofmiester

First point of call is water pump, as i have said to many others the corrado should have a pump with metal impellers, this often gets replaced by accident for one with plastic impellers these snap off and u end up with a spinning disk rather than a pump. Assuming your pump is fine then IMO nothing to worry about, its said most classics pre-1990's run better a little hotter, as long as it doesn't go above 110 and the temperatures it does reach/drop to are consistent then its nothing to be concerned about (also fans kick in when they should). just how the engine runs. Also bare in mind your gauge probably isn't the most accurate, i had an electrical reading done and when my clock says 108 its actually at 104/5 so its nothing to concerning. i spent months trying to figure out why mine went up and down but in the end just accepted its just the engines characteristics. Drove it to the coast and back few months back (during heat wave), sat in traffic for hours with engine running and not a hiccup.

Peace

MUST ADD!!!

I assumed all fans working fine... Get them sorted first! (easy way to test) Start the car and stand next to it till it reaches temp. see if they come on. They should also be coming on after you turn your engine off (if you drive it as you should :bonk:)

Edited by EJ Taylor

Cool, thanks guys. I have Vagcom and my car has a new Blue sensor so I can check the actual temp.

Will double check the fans coming on. Car had a new water pump about 10K miles ago.

idd say that's normal but deffo check your fans are working, don't just start the car and wait though, your be there for ages, go for a drive get the car up to temp and pull over into a car park then you can stand by the car and wait, iv got the lower temp rad fan so my fans kick in abit sooner then standard, ignore the aux water , I don't have one.

Dont forget dials over and under read with age

Have decided this is the issue with mine, after replacing literally everything apart from the dash gauge it still reads a bit low while on the move.

Today, as the wather is cooler it is fine. Mainly seeing 110 on the gauge in 25-30c ambient temps and sat in stop start traffic.

Will keep my eye on it, more of a concern as the super charger is about to go on and so that will push temps up more....although I have a 16row oil cooler going on there too, should balance it.

The fans are only needed when you're doing roughly 40 or under, it's just to give it a bit of a helping hand. Right now mine are unplugged (after they caught fire :lol:) and my temperatures are totally normal until I get stuck in traffic, when they start to gradually creep up.

Provided oil doesn't go over 120-130ish and coolant is under 110 then it's most likely fine. Do try and troubleshoot it if your fans aren't working though, it's expensive to fix once they've burned out.

Also, keep an eye on the Samco hoses and replace any that look dodgy. I've lost count of the number I've seen with cracks in them - they're made from cheap materials without enough reinforcement layers and once they start to deteriorate it's just a matter of time until they're leaking. Worse, the cracks can open up with pressure so you end up with a slow leak that only lets coolant out when you're driving it! Keep an eye on your coolant level, you shouldn't ever really have to top it up.

Stone

Edited by Stonejag

Have decided this is the issue with mine, after replacing literally everything apart from the dash gauge it still reads a bit low while on the move.

my corrado 16v does exactly the same gets a little hot in trafic but on the move it settles ive got a mocul oil cooler on mine ( from previouse owner) and id doesnt do nothing unless you are doing a constant hi mph

Checked the fans today and not sure if things are alright?

Took the car for a run, oil to 103c and water at just under 90c, pulled up and let her sit running.

Temp rose to just above 90c and the fan came on for about 30secs, then it went off. Got to about 100c and came back on, ran for 30secs and then off. Got to just under 110c, fan came on and stayed on. Temp dropped to 100s ish, fan went off.....I stopped the engine at that point. Fan came on whilst engine was off, ran for a while.

All safe and no overheating but the fan didn't stay on for very long at each stage, apart from the last?

Sounds ok to me. I've changed all parts of my cooling system and it runs pretty much the same as yours.

Sounds ok to me. I've changed all parts of my cooling system and it runs pretty much the same as yours.

Cheers Dave, I think I might just be getting paranoid. Almost everything I have looked into on this car has turned out to need some work (I am very fussy) and so I'm almost used to having to replace everything ;)