VR6 Lee

Classic insurance

My annual classic car insurance is due in September and thinking that insuring it on year policy might be a waste of time considering I only use the car 5-10 times a year.

What is the best thing to do? Advice much appreciated

There are short term policies available, but if you were to do that 10 times, it would work out more expensive in the long run than to just insure it on an annual classic policy with very limited mileage to bring it right down. 2k miles on a classic policy could be had for less than £200 PA I reckon.

My annual classic car insurance is due in September and thinking that insuring it on year policy might be a waste of time considering I only use the car 5-10 times a year.

What is the best thing to do? Advice much appreciated

would be interested in any comment on this... mines on a laid up policy at the moment 0 miles fire and theft from the garage, but like you would only intend to use it on the odd summer weekend / nice day next year. my insurance company initially was funny about me insuring it on a standard policy and then putting it on a SORN during the winter.

Edited by delfinis38

As above , just bring the mileage down to the lowest they can insure you for . Not only that , but happens if you leave it uninsured for a while and something happens to it ?

There are short term policies available, but if you were to do that 10 times, it would work out more expensive in the long run than to just insure it on an annual classic policy with very limited mileage to bring it right down. 2k miles on a classic policy could be had for less than £200 PA I reckon.

Your not far off there i reckon sean I pay just over £300 for 5k miles everything declared.

£235.00 thats cheap sean , how old are you if you dont mind me asking . Im 43 this year and always insure with performance direct , no-one ive ever tried gets near the £300 i pay . Thats a classic ins policy , 2000 miles and an agreed value of 5k .

Rob

Rob without wanting to sound cheeky it may be your postcode mate that has alot to do with it.I moved from a village just outside Kilmarnock to Kilmarnock itself and my insurance went up even though my car is now garaged where as before it wasn't :scratch:

Rob without wanting to sound cheeky it may be your postcode mate that has alot to do with it.I moved from a village just outside Kilmarnock to Kilmarnock itself and my insurance went up even though my car is now garaged where as before it wasn't :scratch:

My insurance is cheaper if I keep the car on he drive as opposed to the garage !

£235.00 thats cheap sean , how old are you if you dont mind me asking . Im 43 this year and always insure with performance direct , no-one ive ever tried gets near the £300 i pay . Thats a classic ins policy , 2000 miles and an agreed value of 5k .

Rob

Its fine Rob, I've not reached the age to try and hide it yet! I'm 31 mate, but I've only been driving 6 years. I had to attend a driver awareness course, and have 3 points, both for speeding! :bonk: Its a 4k limited policy, but I've no agreed value. I'm insured with ClassicLine btw which were around half the price of any other classic policy I found. My car is parked on the drive, in a relatively good postcode I think.

My insurance is cheaper if I keep the car on he drive as opposed to the garage !

It's crazy some of the Bull***T insurance companies come up with to try and justify higher price's they told me it was "Because of the junction at the end of my road" Cos it is an "offset crossroad"

It's crazy some of the Bull***T insurance companies come up with to try and justify higher price's they told me it was "Because of the junction at the end of my road" Cos it is an "offset crossroad"

It's cheaper still if you say you park on the road... insurance is a load of b0llocks

It's cheaper still if you say you park on the road... insurance is a load of b0llocks

Apparently its because more car thefts are now committed after house break ins, so the thieves know which car is yours automatically if its parked on the drive! Just a case of pressing a button if they're not sure nowadays though! :shrug:

Postcode is fine here as was my last house .must try harder to find a cheaper quote next year !.

Its fine Rob, I've not reached the age to try and hide it yet! I'm 31 mate, but I've only been driving 6 years. I had to attend a driver awareness course, and have 3 points, both for speeding! :bonk: Its a 4k limited policy, but I've no agreed value. I'm insured with ClassicLine btw which were around half the price of any other classic policy I found. My car is parked on the drive, in a relatively good postcode I think.

As already said they make it up as they go along really ! Two years ago my car was in a locked garage in a nice area . It's now on a drive in an nice area , with no difference in price !

I pay 300 per year but want to save money as I have 3 cars to run

hi there, i've recently paid for a year on my vr6 and gone with flux direct. i've paid just under 200 for the year fully comp with 6,500 miles. If i'd still lived in my old place and could have garaged the car i'd have been looking at 125 for a year! the only 2 companies worth checking for car insurance was flux direct, performance direct and slightly dearer was direct line. Thats with 9 years no claims and i'm 33, but the car is down as parked on the street and i'm not in the most 'exclusive' of adresses.

ah, that may be problematic. insurance companies are full of ****, i don't see why you can't use your no claims on more than 1 policy if you are the legal owner and at the same address etc. a few years ago i knew of insurance companies that would let you split your no claims over 2 policies which is what i did when i was running 2 cars, but i think thats all been stopped now. You could try tesco insurance if you have a clubcard?

Problem is I have to go classic way as I use my ncb on my daily car

Me too, I go with Peter D James (Car parked on driveway) and it is just over £260/PA inc legal expenses and breakdown cover but limited to 3K miles.

Ian.