st4stokie

Best Way/stuff to use to Refit side rubbing strips???

Just spent 3 hours getting the glue off the paint work from where the previous owner had removed the rubbing strips from the car. Only to find that on the drivers/passenger door the removal of the strips has also removed paint :(

002_zps5e642e75.jpg

I've managed to refit the wing and rear quarter parts but the door ones are like a dogs hind leg (currently lying in a nice hot soapy bath to soften the old sticky stuff) and I'm not sure the double sided tape I've used for them will be strong enough to hold the door one's in place.

006_zps348b78d4.jpg

007_zpsc6edc68c.jpg

Any help or advice on this will be appreciated don't really want to leave the rubbing strips off and have bottom half respray tbh

I've just taken mine off, and I find that the swage line a bit further up actually hits far more often than the rubbing strip tbh. I can't help with what to use, but don't use any other adhesive, or sealant as the chopper who owned the car before me did. I've had to scrape it off and taken even more paint with it. Luckily I'm having a respray over winter so its not a massive issue for me, but you may see yourself or others off further down the line if you don't do it properly.

I used double-sided foam tape on mine. I wasn't convinced it would hold at first, but three years later... Just make sure both surfaces are clean and degreased (or use some paint prep cleaner), and push on hard.

Thanks for the advice. The double sided tape I've got is quite strong 3M stuff with reinforcement weaved into it. I'll try it for now and see how it goes. Someone else told me tonight about the tiger stuff so I'll give that a try if it fails. Mar lady wasn't impressed about the door strips being in the bath when she went for one earlier :nono: lol

Try this stuff it is immense.[ATTACH=CONFIG]75484[/ATTACH]

Mate of mine just txt me about this stuff too, but doesn't know where to get it. Would it be available from a bodyshop paint supplier?

Not sure mate I got it from work :rolleyes: According to the guy's in my work that use it it is super/super strong. I haven't found anything to use it on yet :bonk:

Thanks mate, I'll go to the body shop suppliers locally and see if they got anything similar or the same if this I've got doesn't do the job

Got another problem with the strips themselves now, the door ones have gone like a wood effect finish now I've removed the sticky stuff from the back and wiped them over with thinners. Anyone got any good ideas on how to get them black again. I've used a heat gun on a MK2 Golf I owned before but not sure it will work on the rub strips as they are different material to the bumpers on a MK2

That's where the harder parts of the plastic have survived but the other bits (softer) have oxidised over the years, leaving swirl marks. If they are not too bad then just leave them but if it is bad, you could sand and paint them with somthing like Halfords Bumper Spray, I have done trim with that before and it lasts well with a satin finish close to factory.

Cheers mate I'll give that a go before refitting them they are pretty bad tbh. Look like wooden beading not plastic, don't want the C looking like a Morris Traveller lol

Had a brain wave yesterday with the rubbing strips from the door after I'd soaked them and removed the sticky stuff from the back of them I was left with rubbing strips that weren't straight. So put the heating on full blast and put the strips on the top of the convectors on a radiator. This made them go really soft and floppy but turned the heating off and left the strips where they were. This morning got up and the strips are now straight as a die and slightly darker too just got get some peanut butter now see if revives them abit more.

008_zpsd11d6e45.jpg

Edited by st4stokie

Well the tape I've got and used for the smaller strips has proved useless, found the small N/S/F strip on the floor by the car this morning. Trip to B S Supplies (bodyshop wholesaler) tomorrow to see what they've got pretty sure they are 3M stockists

What about the thin numberplate adhesive foam they stock at Halfords? Think its made by Harris iirc, may be worth a punt if you can't get any at your bodyshop wholesaler. Its pretty cheap as well.

I never thought about that stuff. Should be good stuff I've used it before to hold number plates on and it was pretty hard to remove the plate so I'll give that a go if I have no luck at BS Thanks

Called into the local bodyshop wholesaler yesterday. They advised tiger seal would be the best thing to use. So tube of that, roll of masking tape and some panel wipe and off home to fit the rubbing strips back on. Here are some pics now they are fitted and cleaned up with peanut butter

20130908_151152_zps77d1b051.jpg

20130908_151207_zpsc992981f.jpg

20130908_161627_zpsc2fac2ca.jpg

20130908_161641_zpse91dc589.jpg

20130908_151136_zps09c476ee.jpg

Car needs a good clean I know :p

Tigerseal is great stuff, but if you want/need to take them off in the future, be prepared for it to be taking the paint with it!

Tigerseal is great stuff, but if you want/need to take them off in the future, be prepared for it to be taking the paint with it!

You really are a :geek: Sean. But i like that knowledge is power :thumbleft:

You really are a :geek: Sean. But i like that knowledge is power :thumbleft:

:p

I'm just trying to take over the mantle as prolific poster from you James! :grin: