sam2.0

Crashy ride

I need to sort out the ride I get when going over speed bumps, small pot holes etc. It just crashes the car about, even though it feels like the suspension is working, its just aggressive.

I have sachs advantage shocks, which I understand are OEM, and all I can tell from the springs is they are blue (I seems to remember being told they were after market when I bought the car).

What can cause this? Springs don't look snapped (...BMW background). What do I need to do to find out the issue?

Sachs Advantage were sold as an OEM equivalent, but weren't exactly the same quality or damping. H&R springs for 4 cylinder Corrados are blue, but there's white writing on one of the coils to confirm. They are pretty hard.

That's it, H&R! That rings a bell.

Sounds like I'd just need to replace these. Is the something OEM-ish that is recommended?

Is it much work?

I'll get my MOT done, then look into this.

It's probably going to be down to your spring / damper combo.. your mileage can vary massively on the Corrado. I have a Bilstein damper and KW spring combination and my suspension is, frankly, crap. I just put up with it because of the cost of replacing it all - AGAIN. May want to experiment with different springs (e.g. PI) or even consider trying standard ones just to see how the car feels.

Basic OE style Bilstein dampers - B4 I think? The problem is the springs I think - on uneven road, if I'm making progress, I've almost been bounced off the road before!

The roads are terrible but cars have improved to deal with it. Modern cars with stiffer suspension and elastic band 19s don't make a meal of small bumps and pot holes like Corrados do.

The roads are terrible but cars have improved to deal with it. Modern cars with stiffer suspension and elastic band 19s don't make a meal of small bumps and pot holes like Corrados do.

Tell me about it. I've got a MK7 Golf GT with GT lowered suspension, optional 18" alloys on very low profile tyres......rides absolutely great. A lot has improved over the years that is for sure.

The weitec shocks/springs I had on the car a couple of years ago were excellent IMO for the price and now I've got Koni coilovers which I'd also say are very good, even on the bumpy stuff. Price wise they are at the top of the price range and a little harder than the weitecs (to be expected on coilovers)but very composed and I've not had a play with the damping yet. No idea what the spring rates are though.

Tell me about it. I've got a MK7 Golf GT with GT lowered suspension, optional 18" alloys on very low profile tyres......rides absolutely great. A lot has improved over the years that is for sure.

Most of that is down to body shell stiffness. An 18 yr old Corrado shell built with1980s construction techniques is like a blancmange compared to your MK7 :)

And short wheel bases with beam rear axles doesn't help, but you have to over look (or try to) all that with Corrados and love the car for what it is!