Sign in to follow this  
Richie_FSOB

Whats this?, and how do I fix it?

Hi,

Have got what seems to be oil leaking here (see photos, dont know what this is called! :oops: )

Does anyone know what the problem could be, and how I would go about fixing it.

I was wondering if it has anything to do with the gearbox, as this seems to be the nearest thing to it?

Please help!

Knackered transmission mount - they're fluid filled - that's whats leaked out! :-)

Cue Mr Haywire extolling the virtues of the Turn2 mount? ;-)

Yep, that's the gearbox mount.

(I think Mr Haywire is on the payroll at Vibratechnics these days...)

My observation on swapping this mount is: it's a fairly low-stressed mount, only under tension when the car is on the overrun and in reverse, so I'm not convinced an uprated mount is really necessary. Also bear in mind that if you swap it for one that *isn't* a VW, oil filled mount, you *will* get increased cabin noise coming from the gearbox. No two ways about it, the originals are oil filled for a reason.

I think a brand new VW mount is about £40, GSF do an OE one in solid rubber for about £25, VT mounts start at a little bit more than those two put together, IIRC..

YMMV.

Yep I put the solid rubber one on the gearbox, either from Turn2 or a VW one from a MK2 Golf diesel. Both the same, but I didn't realise that at the time.

You get a very slight increase in transmission whine. You only notice it if you listen for it. I'd rather have a wee bit of transmission whine (only on over-run) than have an shite OE mount spewing it's innards all over the gearbox casing.

Without wanting to start a massive debate about the virtues of OE mounts again, they are the way they are for refinment, but ultimately can't restrain the engine properly when booting it. VW learned that lesson with the MK4. MK4 mounts are way stiffer than MK2/MK3 mounts. If the original mounts were so good, then turn2, VT et al wouldn't be in business.

Thanks all,

How easy is it to replace?

What would i have to take off, and do i need to hold the gearbox in place while I change it?

If so, how would I do that?

I've been told it's a doddle, but I got it done in a garage, given my lack of suitable tools.

Apparently you just gently jack up the gearbox, loosen three bolts, remove/replace the mount, then tighten three bolts and lower the gearbox back down.

I've been told it's a doddle, but I got it done in a garage, given my lack of suitable tools.

Apparently you just gently jack up the gearbox, loosen three bolts, remove/replace the mount, then tighten three bolts and lower the gearbox back down.

dr_mat, You don't work for a Book Publishers called 'Haynes' by any chance??

You've answered a question for me there Kev. I was positive that the 'box was noisier after fitting vibratech engine mounts and now I know why 8)