Sign in to follow this  
A20 LEE

Show us your BIG Brakes.

Going to order a set on monday. Need to see pics of as many different wheel and brake combo's as possible to see what fits (come show them off). I'd like 335mm with 6pots but i'm running 17" splitrims with 52mm from std disk to spoke so i may need to go for a small disc to miss the splitrim bolts. Advice welcomed along with pics.

TIA

Does anyone know if the Ibiza Brembo's would fit under 8x17 et30 Keskin Racers. I was thinking of joining the group buy but am concerned about the dish on the wheels (which are ordered) Any advice appreciated

16x7.5 borbet Cs with a 30 offset and a 10mm spacer with the Seat Ibiza 305x28mm Brembo conversion...

And "YES" it's close! :?

But do the Brembos work aswell on the C as they do on the Leon? The thing with these big brakes is that they're only as good as the chassis holding them. Sure you'll get an improvement but don't expect 911 standards of braking because you've put 911 calipers and discs on your C. It doesn't work that way.

And don't waste your money on big brakes if you're never going to use it on the track, waste of money.

I'll tell you this for one thing... make sure your ABS works before sticking the brembos on.... :| as soon as the disks and pads bed in, they'll grip better than your tyres and will happily lock up if you stomp 'em at just about any speed... :shock:

Need to get my ABS sorted out now... :roll:

just incase you are interested......it seem that tarox do a 10 pot caliper and disc set, that will only fit under 17s!! that would be silly!!!

Brembo 328mm conversion with 4 pot caliper (silver calipers are now apparently a cost option)

:evil:

p.s. There barely fit inside 8x17 wheels

But do the Brembos work aswell on the C as they do on the Leon? The thing with these big brakes is that they're only as good as the chassis holding them. Sure you'll get an improvement but don't expect 911 standards of braking because you've put 911 calipers and discs on your C. It doesn't work that way.

Yes. They are stunning. Alex Pose-Gil will confirm that. Remember the Corrado weighs a bit less than a Porsche 911. I once managed to mildly whiplash my g/friend by braking too hard with them.

That said I already had coilovers and strutbraces fitted, so your point about the chassis is probably valid - in a car with stock suspension you'd generate a possibly dangerous amount of dive under hard braking.

John

I don't doubt the Brembos work well on a C. I've only experienced them on my mate's Leon Cupra R and they are very strong indeed.

I've also experienced Porsched 'Big reds' fitted to a 1996 3.6 variocam 911 (993). Stomp on those at 100mph and it's like hitting a brick wall 8)

What I was getting at with my comment is that the 911, and to a certain extent the Leon, have wishbone setups to cope with the immense forces generated by very big brake discs but it's getting a bit OT now. :wink:

I don't doubt the Brembos work well on a C. I've only experienced them on my mate's Leon Cupra R and they are very strong indeed.

I've also experienced Porsched 'Big reds' fitted to a 1996 3.6 variocam 911 (993). Stomp on those at 100mph and it's like hitting a brick wall 8)

What I was getting at with my comment is that the 911, and to a certain extent the Leon, have wishbone setups to cope with the immense forces generated by very big brake discs but it's getting a bit OT now. :wink:

The Boxster S stops like nothing else I've driven :) - Feck me it does, its scary how hard you can go in it. :o I scared the salesman at the Seat Garage when I took the Cupra R out but its nowhere near the Porsche. Cupra R was good though.

Anyone know if the Brembo Calipers from a Fiat Coupe will fit???

Can't find a good photo of my 6 pots and I my C's in the garage getting some plastic surgery so I can't take any photo's.

I thought that Porsche brakes are made for them by Brembo?

I think they are are super way to improve the safety of any car, plus they give you a much better chance of avoiding the the local Speed Cameras, as my "incident" last December on the A35 proved (came across mobile Gatso on dual carriageway whilst going faaaar to fast, and managed to shed >50mph in just 100yrds to get under the limit and avoided getting a ticket.

For me, they were worth the cost that day, as I'm sure I would have picked up a significant ban if I hadn't been able to shed all that speed.

p.s. I learned my lesson and now drive sensibly everywhere - honestly :oops:

John

I think the calipers casings are Brembo but they use their own pistons and floating discs. The brakes on the GT are all their own work. Carbon Ceramic, mmmm.

I think the calipers casings are Brembo but they use their own pistons and floating discs. The brakes on the GT are all their own work. Carbon Ceramic, mmmm.

Indeed. It's now becomeing clear that these ceramic brakes are giving a lot of owners some real headaches.

a) The discs are cracking when used hard, due to overheating of the disc

b) Owners have been complaining that they basically aren't any better than steel brakes

At £6,500 for a set of replacement discs & pads some dealers are apparently recommending owners to fit steel brakes and store the ceramic brakes until they sell their cars.

Ouch!

Porsche are reputedly looking into the problem, and are even considering redesigning the front of the 996 to channel more air to the front brakes. At least 996/GT3 owners have the choice of switching. Owners of the Carrera GT dont (apparently)

John

You'd be a bit peeved if you spent the hundreds of thousands of pounds on a car like the Carerra GT only to run into a pretty bad design issue like that. Ouch.

I'd of thought, being a new system, those brakes would have been put through hell and back before being given the green light for the production line?

Just a pic of my Porsche Boxster S (Brembo) calipers and 330mm vented discs, although I have now sold the discs in favour of Seat 305mm versions as they fit straight on and basically it just easier + cheaper! A very easy mod to do and calipers, discs and bolts only cost me about £300 all in, still need to get some pads..which ones should I got for? Seat, Porsche or aftermarket???

Nice!

That is true of the carbon/ceramic brakes actually. Did you see the SLR ones catch fire on Top Gear!

Mind you, the 120 - 0 braking was impressive.....

K