loepan

devon newbie, new wheels + update (pic heavy)

hi all,

having had a few dubs over the past few years and selling my t4 and getting a eco tdi lupo, I was looking at jumping into the mk1 caddy pick up team further down the line. Until I stumbled across this forum, the corrado to me seemed like a forgotten child of the vw world and often overlooked at shows, you probably all know the drill, mk1? gti? bbs?.....air?

I loved the fact that the corrado holds its own little niche within the lager community, so started reading the forums and the more I looked at the car the more I liked it, especially the rear :norty:

I then started looking at the different models and fell in love purely on engine tone, with the vr6. apart from my golf for the past 5years ive had tdi's of some form, some for eco, some modded

I had to have a vr6, I jumped in feet first and ended up with one the weekend, mad? yes, I could have probably picked up a better condition model but I had the fever I needed to see what all the 'the driving experience' fuss was all about.

well what the hell have I been driving before.

I had a two hour drive home from when I picked it up and didn't want to stop, I had plans for lowering as per usual maybe shcmidts but seeing how it drives as standard im now inclined to repair to standard just as vw intended.

probably change my mind in a few months :bonk:

any way, greeting, im sure ill be picking your brains very soon.

in fact whilst im here, a chap locally is breaking a g60, panel wise, is there any difference?

cheers

Edited by loepan

Welcome bud, I was in the same boat as you. I never really took much notice of Corrados until I was being followed to a meet by a very nice one. Couldn't keep my eyes off the rear view mirror, and I was hooked!

If the G60 is anything other than very late, (92/93 I think) then the whole front end is different. Have a look if the bonnet is the raised or recessed type. If its raised then it may be ok. The later models have different front bumpers, slam panel, bonnet as mentioned, and the wings are flared more. There are a few things that you could get though that are not early/late specific.

Get a thread up in the members gallery! :thumbleft:

I loved the fact that the corrado holds its own little niche within the lager community,

well thats one way to get of on the wrong foot...we are all cider drinkers on here:drinking:

but really, welcome. im only in for 3 months but its invaluable so far, and mine's in half-decent nick!

enjoy

Edited by jontykint

ha ha didn't spot that, lager indeed!

thanks for the info, i'll pop over tomorrow and have a look at the g60 to check and get some pics up when its washed!!

hi all,

having had a few dubs over the past few years and selling my t4 and getting a eco tdi lupo, I was looking at jumping into the mk1 caddy pick up team further down the line. Until I stumbled across this forum, the corrado to me seemed like a forgotten child of the vw world and often overlooked at shows, you probably all know the drill, mk1? gti? bbs?.....air?

I loved the fact that the corrado holds its own little niche within the lager community, so started reading the forums and the more I looked at the car the more I liked it, especially the rear :norty:

I then started looking at the different models and fell in love purely on engine tone, with the vr6. apart from my golf for the past 5years ive had tdi's of some form, some for eco, some modded

I had to have a vr6, I jumped in feet first and ended up with one the weekend, mad? yes, I could have probably picked up a better condition model but I had the fever I needed to see what all the 'the driving experience' fuss was all about.

well what the hell have I been driving before.

I had a two hour drive home from when I picked it up and didn't want to stop, I had plans for lowering as per usual maybe shcmidts but seeing how it drives as standard im now inclined to repair to standard just as vw intended.

probably change my mind in a few months :bonk:

any way, greeting, im sure ill be picking your brains very soon.

in fact whilst im here, a chap locally is breaking a g60, panel wise, is there any difference?

cheers

Welcome to the forum bro... and i take it you mean TH lines? sounds like you got the write attitude as well!

Welcome along , need to see some pics , where in Devon are you ?

blow in mate, originally from the midlands been in ilfracombe for just over a year now

will get some pics up later, surf is stopping play!

th lines would be lovely, was thinking more modern line as a budget, maybe the three piece modern at a push...but hey, ive a lot to do before wheels get sorted.

it seems to be my common error with dubs....get car, spend shed loads on alloys, and coilovers (i might try budget coilovers, usually go with kw v1's) then moan about not having enough to sort the niggly bits out, get money to sort niggly bits out and my alloys are not so clean and shiny anymore :bonk:

so im hoping to get wheels if any as my last detail. the original speed lines on it have just been freshly refurbed so i'm in no rush

to be honest the engine bay and electrics need sorting first, there's a k&n filter I want changed back to airbox as it looks like it has no support and the maf plug? is dragged downwards because of it. it surely cant be getting cold feed where it is anyway.

the binding tapes around the electrics just crumble at the touch so I might get a plastic piping kit to re-do them and then check out the battery tray as I can see rust but cant see how bad.

anyway pics later

cheers for the welcome

th lines would be lovely, was thinking more modern line as a budget, maybe the three piece modern at a push...but hey, ive a lot to do before wheels get sorted.

it seems to be my common error with dubs....get car, spend shed loads on alloys, and coilovers (i might try budget coilovers, usually go with kw v1's) then moan about not having enough to sort the niggly bits out, get money to sort niggly bits out and my alloys are not so clean and shiny anymore :bonk:

so im hoping to get wheels if any as my last detail. the original speed lines on it have just been freshly refurbed so i'm in no rush

to be honest the engine bay and electrics need sorting first, there's a k&n filter I want changed back to airbox as it looks like it has no support and the maf plug? is dragged downwards because of it. it surely cant be getting cold feed where it is anyway.

the binding tapes around the electrics just crumble at the touch so I might get a plastic piping kit to re-do them and then check out the battery tray as I can see rust but cant see how bad.

anyway pics later

cheers for the welcome

Yes get some pics up! and the speedlines look kinda sick standard imo. there a nice wheel, shame they dont make them 16x9j ha.

And no you want TH lines.... ;)

(i wanted modern lines since i bought the car....)

47767_10151712321598477_1461922336_n.jpg

1237061_10151712320493477_1420755376_n.jpg

12095_10151712321208477_295307160_n.jpg

1375088_10151712320923477_1521241405_n.jpg

1235522_10151712320233477_874824387_n.jpg

there we go....loads of dinks and paint touch ups that you cant really see in these pics, interior is great nick tho' apart from front speakers missing, rust spots on rear left hand side arch, sunroof doesn't work apart from that it seems good.

even the wife said it holds it own in the looks department compared to modern styled cars......that's got to be a plus :dance:

well its black, my best guess would be black pearlescent (it has shiny bits in :scratch:)

its not going to be a daily as such, but I want to use it, first things first im going to get it mechanically checked out, then sort passenger side door lock, then sort sun roof out, then tackle some of the arch rust and possibly look for a new boot lid as there is corrosion around parts of the rear glass (I suspect with the glass out it would look worse) then I might consider re-spray matt black cheapo style.

id love a fresh paint job, but my cars seem to scratch just by looking at them (usually I blame the wife and kids) and I would be mortified if I had spent 3k+ only for my daughter and her mates trying to wedge her bmx out of the garage past the car scratching it......yes that has happened

so get it back to good working order is the plan for now

hey taylor, just reading through your thread now, looking good mate, ud13 was good wasn't it. I had just got a go pro and did a little video of all the all dubs convoy and bits from the show, it was my first attempt

you can all check it out

amateur remember :afro: and that is me at the end 'by a corrado!'

Edited by loepan

hey taylor, just reading through your thread now, looking good mate, ud13 was good wasn't it. I had just got a go pro and did a little video of all the all dubs convoy and bits from the show, it was my first attempt

you can all check it out

amateur remember :afro: and that is me at the end

Bro, for an amateur your pretty good! My one complaint is i did spot a ford in that video. Im sure you know what im talking about!

I also noticed your after some front speakers... want me to see what i can get you them for? get some sick JL ones? or what ever brand you want as long as we have an account with them. (I recommend JL though) although Alpine do make some nice 5.25 SPG components at a good price. let me know.

howdy glad to see another rado in the shire :thumbleft:

nearly got enough for a car show!

ha superb dan a local lad, you'll have to pm me and let me know if there is anywhere you source parts from and servicing garages etc

one of the lupo...now in the hands of the wife

12257_10151184808203477_718697372_n.jpg

969191_10151482639198477_182749546_n.jpg

one of the old t4

201330_10150123527388477_1552948_o.jpg

ej, ill give you a shout in a couple of weeks deffo, im trying to get as oem as possible with the speakers, but ive got to check out the rear of the head unit and the wiring first, there maybe a underlining reason as to why they were removed!

cheers

Welcome buddy, looks to be a good car to do your own stuff to improve it.

I have a standard VR airbox if needed. PM me if you're interested.

ok so took it to my mechanic who did a vigorous pre mot check and came out with the following

fails:

near side door wont open from outside (now fixed thanks to daves door striker)

wiring along back of engine not secure and not protected (now fixed with boost junkies engine kit)

near side rear shock leaking (was thinking of these koni's http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231003189146)

outer sill to inner arch rusty (body shop soon) will probably need a fabricated welded piece

advisory's (theres a few!)

both front seat back rests are slightly loose:

not to sure on a fix for this, at first I thought it might be the clips in the runner, but if you sit on the base the rears still rock

oil leak from engine:

ill have to investigate

front exhaust down pipe rubbing on anti roll bar: don't know

the front has been lowered on lowering spring, i've had cars lower than this so i am unsure as to the reason

chassis leg along floor surface rust:

brushed off with wire brush and treated with hammerite, soon to waxoyl bottom

near side front inner arch insecure:

i've felt around drivers side and I seem to be missing a piece that attaches rear of inner arch to body work, I have no idea what this piece is if anyone can help?

cv boot on front side starting to split

might try one of those easy fit boots and do it myself

so a fair bit to get on with

any help or advice or daft comments appreciated! :thumbleft:

that all looks pretty standard stuff!

first off degrease and pressure wash the engine find the leak!

if its an aftermarket down pipe that might be your problem im on my second one for the g60 the first one kept catching the steering boot on fire!

seatbases are probably due to wear and tear check the cables are releasing properly and the catches for the seat base are locating!

I must admit I do all my own work couldn't afford to pay someone and I did my apprenticeship for the local vag shop

as for parts there are lots on here, people seem to be breaking them left right and centre which is a terrible shame but good for spares

im in South Molton if your want to come out to play.

Saw another silver one outside the Honda garage/pat Williams near sainsburys today that 2 silver ones and I saw a blue one with a body kit and

a reiger front bumper in tescos getting fuel on the home happy days :shocked!:

if were talking vans heres my baby!

1003192_10151881616572275_70941867_n_zpsdedd8111.jpg

fuel on the way home

mods can move this thread to build if possible or required.

been in hospital last couple of days (minor op no biggie)

but haven't been myself, today I thought I would have a bash at the rocking seats and fan only working on 4, so got new fuse from maplins,cut old one out soldered new fuse in. oooops still only works on number 4? don't know whether I applied to much heat or its a problem else where.

took my seats out (glad I did because they needed a good clean) replaced all runner plastics and rubbers. but my problem is not in the base of the seats but in the actual back rests, also not loose extensively in the hinge bracket. it seems to be in the adjustment rest.

put basically, when adjusting the back height I can twist the adjuster to pick said height, but if I apply pressure (lean back) the seat will move, this is what is causing the rocking motion, I have no idea how to fix this?

changed my door handle before I went into hospital and found a company who love the motor and want to take it on for welding and re-spray, currently negotiating a price but they seem good lads, might ask them if I can get a bit hands on with it not to make it any cheaper, just because it would be interesting.

anyway that's where I stand...watch this space

mods can move this thread to build if possible or required.

been in hospital last couple of days (minor op no biggie)

but haven't been myself, today I thought I would have a bash at the rocking seats and fan only working on 4, so got new fuse from maplins,cut old one out soldered new fuse in. oooops still only works on number 4? don't know whether I applied to much heat or its a problem else where.

took my seats out (glad I did because they needed a good clean) replaced all runner plastics and rubbers. but my problem is not in the base of the seats but in the actual back rests, also not loose extensively in the hinge bracket. it seems to be in the adjustment rest.

put basically, when adjusting the back height I can twist the adjuster to pick said height, but if I apply pressure (lean back) the seat will move, this is what is causing the rocking motion, I have no idea how to fix this?

changed my door handle before I went into hospital and found a company who love the motor and want to take it on for welding and re-spray, currently negotiating a price but they seem good lads, might ask them if I can get a bit hands on with it not to make it any cheaper, just because it would be interesting.

anyway that's where I stand...watch this space

hope your ok man! sounds like you making progress already! keep it up and keep us informed

glad to hear you've recovered from the lobotomy :bonk: I think you need one as a rado owner.

silly question have you checked switch output to the motor with a test light?

sounds like new seats then, s/h ones are cheep enough and you can swap the covers easy enough.

cheers Dan