Mawrick

VW to Turbo their VR6! :) - Good to see they haven't put the VR6 on the shelves :)

This is exciting news! Would be a nice transplant for a Corrado! :)

The new turbocharged 6-cylinder will keep the 3.0 liter displacement, and the compact 15 degree cylinder bank angle.

Did they ever make a 3.0 VR6 - in either 12v or 24v guise?! I know there was 2.8, 2.9 and then thought they went 24v and onto 3.2 and 3.6?

This was kicking around a few months ago. No 3.0 ever made mainstream production. But then I think there isn't much more than different rods and pistons to make the 2.9 a larger displacement than the 2.8 so maybe they will do something along those lines?

It says there will be a range of VR6 turbos making from 340 to 450hp, so they'll probably boost the R36 engine for the Passat too.

Something us VRT fans have always wanted - an OEM quality turbo kit!

Get down to the dealer for the bits soon after launch and the bits will be MUCH cheaper than when the aftermarket get wind of it.

It says they've got a bloke from AMG in to develop it, which I thought could be good as they might redevelop the block in ally, but then again AMG seem to prefer developing old war horse engines instead of creating new ones!

Kind of an odd move really as Quattro GMBH is part of VAG and they developed the TT-RS's 5 pot motor, so it could have been done cheaper in-house.

It says they've got a bloke from AMG in to develop it, which I thought could be good as they might redevelop the block in ally, but then again AMG seem to prefer developing old war horse engines instead of creating new ones!

Kind of an odd move really as Quattro GMBH is part of VAG and they developed the TT-RS's 5 pot motor, so it could have been done cheaper in-house.

I think it's actually "in house" as that bloke is now working for VW AFAIK.

From autocar:

"Development of the new unit, a replacement for the discontinued VR6, is being overseen by VW’s new head of engine development, Fritz Eichler, the man behind the current generation of AMG powerplants."