robrado974

Spark if ignition switch has gone ?

When mine failed it would start sometimes, and sometimes not. Not sure about spark though. But for as long as I can remember, my starter motor was very slow turning. I was very close to getting another until I did the hotwire test, bypassing the ignition switch. Suddenly my starter motor was better than ever . New ignition switch and been great since

Thanks for replys , I will change it , it's not a lot for a new one , if it starts brilliant , if not , it's back to the drawing board .

Rob

For the price of a new switch its worth changing. THough you'll have fun getting the screw out holding the ignition switch in.. prepare for swearing and a bad back.

Edited by Critical_Mass

meet the ignition switch screw = the smallest, most inaccessible, body contorting, back hurting, stuff falling in your eye whilst undoing screw EVER!

i filed nail grooves all way round edge to make it easier to turn most way back in.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]76201[/ATTACH]

I will be looking forward to the dreaded screw replacement , seen it come up a few times in other threads . Thanks again

Rob

Once you get it out, you'll not want to put it back in......a couple of well placed tie straps are just as good :)

I've done a few of them now and often it's easier to undo the UJ and take the column out giving you fine access to the ******* screw.

They're usually not done up tight from the factory meaning you can use a flat screwdriver and hammer to tap it around from the side. Alternatively, it's quicker to use the hammer and screwdriver to break it off. Look at your new switch and you'll see the little bit of plastic you're trying to break. Absolutely no need to take the seat out etc. Take off the cowling and go from the top. As above, just use a cable tie with the new switch ;)

Once you get it out, you'll not want to put it back in......a couple of well placed tie straps are just as good :)

Definately this, just make sure they're tight enough so the ig switch doesnt move.