Sign in to follow this  
PhatVR6

Arse! my insurance is up for renewal next month.

Just had my renewal notice through. £254 TPFT! not bad eh!

Shame I've now got to tell them about the VR6 conversion and the 42 day ban due to the SP50.........

How much do you reckon it'll cost me?

1994 corrado 8v, converted to a VR6. about 215BHP, 6speed, etc etc. I put the value at about £7000 (which means I'll have to go for fully comp)

5 year NCD

28 years old

YO41 postcode.

I'm guessing about £700??

Might be less, depends on the insurer's recent history with modified corrados.

(A mate was looking for quotes for an M5 recently and got told that ordinarily they'd have been able to cut about 30% off the price the computer quoted, but given that their underwriter had paid up for written-off M5s in 9 out of the last 10 cars they'd insured, they weren't prepared to discount on that make/model any more..)

Who are you currently insuring with PhatVR6?

Forum members have had good luck with some of the favourite insurance companies like Chris Knott, Brentacre, HIC - i'm insured with Brentacre and pretty happy with them. They are all into VW's in their 'modified car call centre' and they gave me by far and away the best quote I could get. And whilst its not exactly cheap compared to my previous car (paying £1,300 fully comp!) it hammered quotes from other insurance companies. HIC wanted just under £3000?!

I'm with HIC.

I've used Greenlight before, but they were a pain in the arse with mods, they wanted to know what tyres and brake fluid I was using and sh1t like that.

Brentacre were excellent, but I went with HIC last year because the quote they did was unbeatable (£236 for a mk2 VR6!)

Yeah, you can't really sniff at that to be honest :)

i'm insured with Brentacre and pretty happy with them. They are all into VW's in their 'modified car call centre' and they gave me by far and away the best quote I could get. And whilst its not exactly cheap compared to my previous car (paying £1,300 fully comp!) it hammered quotes from other insurance companies. HIC wanted just under £3000?!

Bl**dy hell, jim, I know Coventry is a bit rough, but I didn't know it required the special "Beirut/Gaza Strip" premium these days!

Yeah, you can't really sniff at that to be honest :)

and they wanted £50 more to transfer the policy to an 8v corrado 6 months into the policy!!!

Now I've put eveything that was in the golf into the corrado shell...........which will be mentioned when they come up with a ridiculous figure.

do you think about £7000 is an accurate value?

I think that's a fair estimate - I can imagine the exchange now:

"it's the same engine, gearbox, drive system, same power, same grip, same brakes, same performance etc etc, the only thing that's changed is the body shell says Corrado on it instead"

"ah, that'll be £7000 extra then sir"

i'm insured with Brentacre and pretty happy with them. They are all into VW's in their 'modified car call centre' and they gave me by far and away the best quote I could get. And whilst its not exactly cheap compared to my previous car (paying £1,300 fully comp!) it hammered quotes from other insurance companies. HIC wanted just under £3000?!

Bl**dy hell, jim, I know Coventry is a bit rough, but I didn't know it required the special "Beirut/Gaza Strip" premium these days!

Well in that insurance chart thing that I posted, all of Coventry is flagged as an 'E' category area where F is the absolute worst. But my area is pretty good and I never have any trouble.

But still I guess a group 17 200BHP car driven by a 23 year old in a rough city just don't make the insurance companies sit comfortably.

I think that's a fair estimate - I can imagine the exchange now:

"it's the same engine, gearbox, drive system, same power, same grip, same brakes, same performance etc etc, the only thing that's changed is the body shell says Corrado on it instead"

"ah, that'll be £7000 extra then sir"

exactly.....(although it's not the same engine, but it's still another 1994 2.9 VR6)

HIC won't even answer the phone, been on hold for 17 minutes......

Ho Ho Ho!

£256!!! nly £2 more than the 8v to stay TPFT!!!!!! with all mods declared, and my ban too! :mrgreen: :lol:

Or £850 (£600 more) to go FC. :p :mad:

I think I'll be staying on third party for the time being......

yeah, I couldn't work that out with HIC this year... the insurance on my G60 went DOWN £20 after I declared all of the mods that I've done over the last 9 months! :shock:

Apparently, in my case, it's 'cos it's a 1H block, not a PG block so is considered as an engine transplant, not a rebuild and so is calculated in a totally different way! 8)

That's a good price though Phat... 8)

Thats a good price mate, but I'd perfer fully comp... just more ££££££ to pay them scumbags for more hassle!!! :p

Brentacre quotrd £799.70 FC

or £400 TPFT

fully comp is a f*cking ripp off. if I write it off, that's my fault. I haven't got that much in the car that wouldn't be salvageable anyway.

looks like i need to give hic abell, and there was me gettin worried about my sp30 (speeding) points, looks like u got a phat deal mr phat :lol:

HIC just quoted me 1500 quid :(

Apparently some dude just wrote off a Sierra Cosworth, and all young drivers are taking a slap in the tackle for it. :mad:

HIC just quoted me 1500 quid :(

Apparently some dude just wrote off a Sierra Cosworth, and all young drivers are taking a slap in the tackle for it. :mad:

I heard it was a Shaftron Caxo!

Ho Ho Ho!

£256!!! nly £2 more than the 8v to stay TPFT!!!!!! with all mods declared, and my ban too! :mrgreen: :lol:

Or £850 (£600 more) to go FC. :p :mad:

I think I'll be staying on third party for the time being......

wasnt far off tho was i? :wink:

This'll make you laugh. she asked if the engine was out of a corrado storm, or just a 'normal' VR6 :p :mad: :? silly cow.