corrado wannabe

Definitive Sunroof???

Many Thanks for your answers hopefully this is reflected below now:

Options are.

1. Mk3 Golf unit. Appears to be a more reliable unit in terms of the lugs not breaking, straight fit in terms of mechanism and requires Corrado panel to be swopped with Golf glass/metal panel

2. Seat Toledo (Not sure which era/model), as per Golf MK3

3. Passat B3/B4 moonroof, unit itself appears to be as fragile as the Corrado mechanism. But straight fit with no requirement to swap panel other than preference.

4. Skoda Octavia MK1 Estate moonroof as per Passat B3/B4 but with more reliable mechanism.

5. Repair existing mechanism with VW kit and refit (costly and not a cure for fragility in design).

Dougie

Edited by corrado wannabe
reflect answers given

1) Does the MK3 one actually fit? I tried offering one up many moons ago and not only were the locating dowels misaligned, the bolt holes were too. I'm sure it could be modified to fit but the dowels lining up is kind of critical for panel alignment really. If it's not a direct fit, I would swerve it personally.

2) Correct. Equally cr@p.

3) Done that but it was still sh1te. Needed a new motor as well. It seems once the nice smooth black anodised layer wears off, the plastic feet on the guides just dig their heels in and the motor struggles like hell to move them.

Weld the hole up is probably the best option! But if you can get MK3 or MK4 Golf ones to fit, they are the most reliable.

FWIW my sun roof mechanism is from a Seat Toledo and it has been fine. It's difficult to prove there is any difference though so knowing my luck it will give up tomorrow...

Mk1 Skoda Octavian Estate moonroof fits perfectly.

Edit: No mods or adjustment.

Edited by science

Many thanks for the replies guys.

Can I ask those of you that fitted the models I didn't know work as well. Did you had to do any sort of modifications to fit them, or were they simply plug and play?

ie, the panel fits the hole perfectly (roof profile included) but there were some alterations required to get the mechanism itself to fit.

As Kevin has said he did not think Mk3 fitted correctly, this is what was confusing me while looking at the other threads, so it would be good to know Ian, did you find it was a direct swop (apart from metal panel)

Sorry to be a pain about this, but I think it could be a useful thread to collate everyones experiences with these roofs.

Dougie

I put a MK3 Golf Sunroof into my early valver and the hole allignment was fine, bolted on perfectly - the glass roof itself from a MK3 is too curved for the corrado roof line, but that is where the B3/B4 glass roof would come in. The glass from the passat fits perfectly with the corrado roof line, and also into the MK3 Golf Mech which in turn fits the Corrado...It is quite a faf locating all required parts for that though.

If your not wanting a glass panel and want to keep the existing metal panel, put it into the MK3 Golf mech and you shouldnt have any problems....Ill probably be doing this in the near future...

Can confirm that the MK3 Golf mechanism went in fine into a 94 car, no problem with the hole alignment either - They are also readily available at (our) breakers and good price too.

Hope that helps,

Ian.

Many thanks to you all for your answers, I have changed the original post to reflect what you said. If you think what I have said is not accurate, or want me to add anything then let me know.

Sorry Kev, left out the welding the hole up option!

Dougie

There must be different MK3 subframes then as mine wasn't even close to fitting! If you get one that fits, it sounds like the way to go :)

I fitted a 1997 MK3 sunroof with a Passat B3 panel with no issues. Straight swap.

just wondering if its possible to plastidip the worn areas of the channels when the coating wears off, or would it not be smooth enough or have too much friction?