Clive Jones

engine conversion

Looking at replacing the 2 ltr 8v ,with a 1.8 16v k jet,what will I need ,engine & box and wiring loom or can I use my own box etc,the simpler the better tbh,I'm no mechanic,thanks:scratch:

Any particular reason you're looking to do this? You're not going to get a noticeable performance upgrade going from the 2.0 8v to the 1.8 16v

engine in the car at the moment is smoking quite bad (oil) so as this 1.8 is for sale local thought be the easier option,any idea on the bhp of the 1.8.

might just be valve stem seals, I did mine (and the headgasket obviously) for about 30 quid all in, cleaned and re-lapped the valves while I was at it.

In my opinion, unless you can get a 2l 16v engine, keep the 8v or find another 8v engine, digifant ('93 and '94 cars) and the later system on the '95 8v's aren't the most fantastic EFI systems but it's more fuel efficient than kjet, pretty bullet proof and the 2.0 8v will be much the same to drive the vast majority of the time.

does it puff blue smoke on the overrun? that's when vacuum sucks oil down the valve guides

yeah, just whack the head off, worst bit is the 6 manifold to downpipe nuts (easiest from under car with extension bars) otherwise it's a very easy job to do the HG/take the head off

Edited by davidwort

change of plan,have sourced a 16v,abf,now is this a fairly straight forward swap ?

best have a look at the club gti forum 'ABF into a mk2 golf' thread.

im doing this conversion in a week should bolt straight in if you are running it on kjet. you strip the abf back the bare block and head stand the kr next to it and swap all the sensors of the kr along with the inlet and all the fueling parts then bolt back in and connect it up it should fire straight up as said their is a good guide on it on club gti thanks ross