Sign in to follow this  
swfblade

G60 power

So wot sort of power do guys push from your G60's? I know its around 160 as standard, but wot do things like the jabba stage 4 give? Are there any other easy mods to gain the power?

Cheers :D

Jabba stage 4's aren't very much different from a standard rebuild - waste of money IMO. Biggest gain for little money is a 68mm pulley & rechip - maybe 20bhp increase.

U could go for an R1 upgrade (like I did) - enlarged inlet & outlet chambers, ported & polished. Use this with a 65mm pulley & rechip - you'll see plenty more power & be faster than any standard VR6's around. If u go down this avenue, you'll also need a set of red top hi-flow injectors.

Darren (g-werks) is your man for the charger rebuild, he'll be able to advise u further.

*cough* avoid jabba *cough* **

Take your charger to someone who will look after it properly... I recommend G-Werks (G-Man) or JMRacing (16VG60) for mechanical work... these 2 know their way around a charger as well as Jabba's reputation (when it was good) and offer a very good service at a very good price...

A decent gas flow and porting job (helps the charger push the air into the engine) will gain a few BHP, but will help lots when coupled with a smaller pulley or a toothed belt drive for the 'charger.... 8)

Both companies can offer this toothed conversion, or offer smaller standard pulleys and chips to suit... 8)

You should be able to see 200bhp quite happily with a decent 'charger rebuild, a 68mm pulley, chip, 3.5 bar fuel pressure regulator and a set of red-top injectors... 8)

Not a huge outlay for a VERY good, powerfull, torquey and reliable engine... 8)

** this is based on my own personal experience after seeing what Jabba didn't do to my charger after an expensive stage 4 rebuild 18 months ago... :|

Some G60s give more than 160 brake. Supercharged's G60 gave 170 brake and 172lb/ft torque at a Stealth Racing rolling road day. It's 84K old, original charger, bog standard engine. Even has the paper air filter!

Now, I wonder if his Powerflow exhaust is responsible for the extra horses and grunt, or is it VW being conservative with the power output quotes, as per usual?

As for tuned G60s, I only have experience of Stealth's rather superb 2.0 conversion. This thing is an animal. Last time I drove it (in a MK2 Golf) it was churning out 240bhp with 238 pounds of the old twisty stuff...... and there was further work to be done :shock:

K

Is it a white MK2 Struan?

If so then it's Mark Harries's old car, ex-PVW journalist.

I remember when I met up with him and John Reay, two big names in the scene back then, circa 1999. Mark had the 2.0 G60 and John had a 16V Turbo (which I subsequently bought), both built by Graham at Stealth Racing, ex Bentley engine builder :shock:

Anyways, I had a Cammed & K Star'd 16V at that time and John and Mark let me drive their cars and feck me did they absolutely fly! I may aswell have had my handbrake on trying to keep up with them in my NA valver!

The G60 was unbelievable. A cammed, Schricked, big throttled and remapped VR6 is only thing that comes close in terms of torque delivery.

K

You should be able to see 200bhp quite happily with a decent 'charger rebuild, a 68mm pulley, chip, 3.5 bar fuel pressure regulator and a set of red-top injectors... 8)

Not a huge outlay for a VERY good, powerfull, torquey and reliable engine... 8)

Wot sort of money would this be?

Yes Kev,

I have the car specs here on my PC,

The car sold on Ebay a few months back, don't know who bought it, but they will have got a great car :)

I contacted Stealth a while ago about doing this conversion for me but they said they no longer offered this conversion :(

However, reckon the 245 + BHP I have right now is fine for the moment until I ge the last few bits and pieces for my G60, which sholud see a wee bit more power...., 8)

Cheers,

BigEastsideVWG60

your looking at around £250 for this package..

:shock: Thats cheap![/quote:09c99]

ooops sorry didnt see the charger rebuild inc there..

thats for the red tops injectors / fpr / chip / 65mm pulley .

still thats a good price for that work imo.

Wot about the charger rebuild? How much are they? Is it worth doing a stage 4 or wotever?

Forgive my ignorance, ive had fords for a while........ :wink:

I had my charger stage 4'd and a new chip and pulley at the same time.All the work was carried out by Star performance in Glenrothes,although the charger was sent to Jabbasport.

After it was RR'd,it was putting out around 183bhp.

I've since had the head rebuilt and a new cam put in along with a TSR 4-1 manifold,3.5 bar fpr and I am currently installing a Golf G60 Intercooler(Which the guys at Pitstop are sourcing the pipework for.Big thanks) .

I have no idea what the bhp will be as it hasn't been re-timed and started yet(also there's no-one with a rolling road within 300 miles of me :( )but when I do get it done I'm expecting 200-220bhp.I hope!

Blown,

IIRC there is a garage with Rollers in wick. I never had my car on them....and I dont know if anyone else I know has either.

Gordon motors i think its called.

Yes Kev,

I have the car specs here on my PC,

The car sold on Ebay a few months back, don't know who bought it, but they will have got a great car :)

Indeed, hard to believe the car started life as a 1.6 driver! I can still remember the thrust of that engine 4 years later :lol:

I contacted Stealth a while ago about doing this conversion for me but they said they no longer offered this conversion :(

Shame. AFAIK, that was the only one they built and it's not a common conversion, so they're sticking to the usual engines now as custom builds can have customers ringing him every 5 minutes.

However, reckon the 245 + BHP I have right now is fine for the moment until I ge the last few bits and pieces for my G60, which sholud see a wee bit more power...., 8)

245bhp is a tidy sum :lol:

K