petemcr

Silicone eBay cooling pipes

So, I've just come across these and as I'm in the middle of a rebuild I was debating them as a pose to the original pipes, but obviously they're on eBay and they're coming from china, plus half the price than your pay for a good quality set, anyone know what the quality of these are like?

Will I be worried about them rupturing all the time if used

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=140887845378

Check these guys out:

http://roosemotorsport.co.uk/

They did a group buy earlier this year (I think it was) and created some VR6 coolant pipes based on those sent to them by a member on here. I think feedback on the quality of them was quite positive?

As David says, you could get reamed with import tax and besides, who knows what the quality will be like - plus dealing with a company on the other side of the world might be problematic in the event of problems..

i did a fair amount of research on silicone hoses & looked into a few of the china brands but was not impressed by reviews out there nor by their usual 1 year warranty

plus it doesnt help with confidence when buying from so far away as who knows how difficult a warranty claim would be.

i had read quite a few negative things on samco too & saw some horrendous examples of split hoses

i ended up opting for roose motorsport hoses as they have a lifetime warranty, are manufactured to order & have a lifetime warranty. they also looked very good quality when they arrived & i was impressed by how sooth the internal walls were & especially so when compared against other hoses ive seen

they are much more expensive than the china counterparts but it avoids worry etc & they are in the UK :)

Edited by g0ldf1ng3r

Didn't realise they were so well priced. Have to get a set for my VR I reckon as some of my hoses are looking like they're coming to the end of their lives!

Those Roose hoses really are well priced. I don't know why I had it in my head they were over £300 a set.

I'm going to look at the roose set I think when it comes to it, do they look ok when they're on? I wanted a bit of an OEM sort of look

The one thing that put me off of the roose was the join on the top rad hose between expansion tank. I know it has its advantages but just looked a bit of an eyesore but im picky sometimes. For the price they are a bargain

The one thing that put me off of the roose was the join on the top rad hose between expansion tank

I thought it was a bit naff, but doesn't leak and also makes fitting the mk4 expansion tank easier. So prefer it now.

Is there much benefit to the mk4 expansion tank? I've been looking at getting a new one as well because mine is looking worn but there doesn't seem to be a lot of the original ones about

Its so much easier to get the cap off, that's about the only reason i changed mine, was sick of getting the original cap off

That, is so true, I remember having to use a set if grips on my old MK2, what do you do about the sensor? Looks like its a different plug on the mk4

Yeah, mine went in with no mods, the screws were a little awkward to get back in (i think the holes on expansion tank and a few mm out of line, so one bolt goes in a bit wonky, but tightened up ok.

Just found the guide for it then, needless to say I will be doing this, £8 for a nice new tank rather than the £40 I was going to pay for an OEM one

VR6 hoses are for a VR6 ;) Not the same.

Not sure if the Mk2 16v ones would work - the Corrado VR6 and Mk3 Golf VR6 sets are different due to how things are laid out in the engine bay.