Kevin Bacon

Dodgy steering - A cure

where is the info about doing a fixed column conversion?? can't remember if its a seperate thread or not?

I seem to recall people saying to use a Polo rack and column, is that still correct? anyone been using that setup for a while yet?

i just won this on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160621983122&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

iirc i also need that, is that the right one? have bought others but they seem to be the same as the one i have in car already

Wrong one. You need the (now obsolete) fixed height cowling - which has no cut out for the steering column height adjuster...

Get searching regarding what parts you need - it has been discussed, at length, in many threads including what parts you need and don't, etc :)

just been reading this thread,i wish i could sort the steering on my car,its had both wishbones,top mounts,track rod ends and tie rods,drop links, ball jonts.its drives crap realy ,dont feel safe at speed or going quick ish around roundabouts.parts were all aftermarket which after reading the thread am sorry that i didnt get genuine.its just past mot and didnt have any play.anyone got any ideas.

UJ on the steering column?

I was hoping the suspension overhaul on the front of mine would sort the slightly vague steering in the dead centre position. But reading the post above it may now not. So could well be a UJ on order soon :(

Edited by Pat_McCrotch

its on the end of steering column

or in our case,there's two ! on an intermediate shaft from column to rack,make sure you have your chassis number if ordering,as there are two sizes !

KevHaywire put his in a vice,and could just about feel a slight movement.

I replaced mine when i did the non-adj column swap,it really made a difference on mine,

think it was about £130 ish,but that was 18 months ago !