Gti_Jamo

New G60 Owner. Problem!

Hi guys I was on a week or so looking for a corrado and just yesterday picked up a nice red G60. All pretty good shape bodywork wise.

Anyway, all was well until today when I gave it a bit in 2rd and upon shifting to 3th I was greeted by the smell of oil followed by a significant trail of blue smoke. Pulled up and lifted the bonnet to see that oil had been forced past the seal where the boost return bolts to the charger and also forced oil out the oil filler cap. So basically oil everywhere. I'm know my way round cars and old vw's but little experience with this set up. Had some tools with me so took off the charger hose and there was a load of oil in there, both pipe and charger. Started the car and it still ran fine on idle and no abnormal charger noises so limped it home a couple of miles with the charger hose still detached and the remaining oil in the intake burned off pretty quick. Doesn't appear to be any abnormal breather behaviour revving up now.

So my question is whats happened here lol? Will be getting torn into it tomorrow as obviously i'll need to drop the intercooler to clean it and the pipe work. Shame like I was really enjoying it. Build thread going up soon.

Cheers guys.

Jamie

Sounds odd!

Could be charger oil seal (does sound a lot of oil though)

I'd make sure the breather system isn't blocked at all, plastic cap on rocker cover could back pressure the engine.

Might even be oil pump over working and pressuring everything up.

Could be head gasket too but a bit more extreme

Engines had it. Zero compression in cylinder 1 unfortunately. Going to whip the head off tomorrow and see whats what bit looks like a replacement engine or a rebuild. At least charger is fine. The oil has been forced down the return into the charger.

Melted piston. Why i thought it was still running normal after it happened I do not know. Panic blinkers on. I know someone with a spare rallye engine so not all bad. At least the charger lives on.

2qc33oh.jpg

Its always devastating when you melt an engine . My sympathies . At least you have a line on another engine but it still expense .

Damn, that's a shame mate...It's a good looking motor though, looks like a late style with an early grill/possible early headlights?

Stick at it, it will be worth it, oh and just be aware of the slight differences with the 1H rallye setup. Different head bolts etc.

I have a G60 Turbo engine that I'll be moving on soon as I've gone down the 1.8 20v route. Jabba built and dyno'd in December at 275 bhp / appx 270 lbft. If of interest let me know.

Cheers buddy for the offer but suspect that setup will be way outside what I can affoard just now. Just needing something to get me back on the road quickly.