Erallus

Lupo - Break discs don't last! - RANT

Hi Al,

Realise this isn't Corrado related, but thought I'd give it a go.

Had my daily Lupo for over a year, and in that time its gone through 3 sets of Discs and pads due to them warping! (the discs that is)

They tend to last for about 5/6k miles (which I do in three months)

Looking around the net, people seem to say there prone to warping if you break too hard, ride the breaks, or sit on the brake after medium/heavy breaking, or they've not been fitted properly.

Guess I'll have to start driving a bit more gently, or fit vented discs, as some people seem to do.

Anyone else had this issue?

Starting to get on my nerves, may have to swap it for something else

Cheers

What sort of quality discs are you fitting??

The last set were Mintex pads and discs.

Your post says it all really. Small, Unvented discs on a car that is driven hard. Pretty much all discs of that type, regardless of manufacturer will warp given repeated abuse.

You know the cure yourself though, fit vented brakes. will the Lupo GTi ones fit onto your hubs?

Your post says it all really. Small, Unvented discs on a car that is driven hard. Pretty much all discs of that type, regardless of manufacturer will warp given repeated abuse.

You know the cure yourself though, fit vented brakes. will the Lupo GTi ones fit onto your hubs?

Indeed, Thought I'd double check, cheers for the response.

I'll have to be a bit more careful or fit the GTI ones.

Don't talk to me about Lupos, daughter's lunched it's gearbox for the second time yesterday, dad puts hand in pocket again!

Yes, The gearbox's seem to have problems too, was it a leaking oil problem? Sounds expensive :scratch:

No oil leak, it's dry where she parks. It's OK while you're accelerating but as soon as you lift off it whines and tightens up, sounds like maybe the diff. Last time it was main shaft bearings collapsed. Going to get it recovered to the garage and let them have a look as I'm offshore the next two weeks so no chance getting a look at it.

Cars are always expensive aren't they, just by varying degrees!

My top Lupo tip is to remove the heated coil element that surrounds the oil pickup in the sump. When it shorts then it blows the fuse for all four injectors and the engine cuts out...mine did it at 75mph in lane 3 of the M4 and I had to write off a pair of underpants!

Stone