Bails88

Hello, and help please!

Hi everyone,

I'm very new to Corrado ownership, having wanted one for years but only ever managed to run old Sciroccos and Golfs up to now.

Yesterday I picked up a VR6 which I hope will be make a great running project. But I already need some help from you experienced members!

It was fairly obvious when I picked it up that it had a mis-fire on at least one cylinder, no big deal I thought, new plugs and leads might cure it. But I've found out that there is no spark on 2 of the plugs. I've tried various combinations of plugs and leads but no improvement.

Am I right to be suspecting the distributor module thing bolted onto the side of the head?

Are these easy to get hold of, and how much should I be paying?

If it makes any difference, the 2 not firing are the 2 'pins' (top row and bottom row) nearest the front of the car when you are looking at the distributor box from the side of the car, like this:

X O O

X O O

Thanks for any help!

Ian

A distributer ignition engine has 7 connections in a circle, 6 around the outside a single one in the middle.

A coilpack ignition engine has rectangular in shape coilpack, it has 6 connections, 3 across the top, 3 below.

Thanks Dox, its the coilpack rectangular box, definitely not got a dizzy cap.

Do you think this is the most likely cause of the 2 non-sparks?

Have a look when cranking the car in the dark . You may well see a firework display around the coil pack , is there any cracks in the coil ?

Can't see any cracks but hard to tell, someone has gunked it up with silicone sealant by the looks of it!

I'll have a look for the fireworks later!

The presence of silicone sealer would ring alarm bells in my mind, I'd say some-one has tried to bodge a repair and that's most likely the problem.

Definitely seems to point towards the coilpack - Where are you based,maybe someone can let you borrow one to try first?

Ian.

I've got a Bosch one for sale if you want it mate.

PM me if your interested

Cheers Johnny :)

Now firing on 6 cylinders, thanks to Johnny H for the Bosch coilpack.

The old one had a broken connector, full of silicone sealant and rusty pins. Its a wonder there were any sparks at all!

Your welcome mate.

Glad she is running sweet.

Still nice to help corrado owners out even thou I haven't got one anymore.

The guys on here helped me out so much over the years, I'm just giving something back :)

Happy driving Ian

well that was pleasing to read, well done

nothing like a sweet sounding engine and self satisfaction

Good work. The silicone sealant alone set off the alarm bells - means they've had problems before and tried to effect a cheap repair rather than just replacing the thing - which is understandable I suppose as new ones aren't cheap!

All three of my broken coilpacks have been the same two connectors failing. The two nearest front of engine. Annoys me as i occasionally get a misfire when going through water and feeling i may need ANOTHER coilpack. :lol:

Took it for an MOT yesterday, hopeful but not optimistic because I think it has been stood out in the rain for about a year and appears to have done more miles than the Starship Enterprise, although has very good history with it.

New coilpack, fresh oil and filter, an Italian tune-up and it passed without advisories! Very happy.

If everything goes to plan that will be one more VR6 back on the road by the end of the month, saved from being broken for parts!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77974[/ATTACH]