Andy-H

Do I need a new starter motor???

Hi all,

I've tried a search today but none have really answered my problem. This morning I was working on the Corrado, had it running on the drive etc. Turned it off, went to move it again about an hour later and it wouldn't start. The immobiliser was working alright as it was letting the fuel pump prime etc.I can hear the relay click as I turn the key to start the car but there's nothing from the starter.... no clicking....nothing. All fuses are good, earths and main live feed are cleaned and have power to them.

Can a starter just stop working like that or is there something else I have missed??

Thanks in advance,

Andy

try getting a stout piece of wood and put this on the solenoid on top of the starter (its the smaller tin can shaped portion on top). Hit this firmly with a hammer a few times - sometimes the solenoid release mechanism gets a bit seized up and just needs to be freed up. Best of luck.

try getting a stout piece of wood and put this on the solenoid on top of the starter (its the smaller tin can shaped portion on top). Hit this firmly with a hammer a few times - sometimes the solenoid release mechanism gets a bit seized up and just needs to be freed up. Best of luck.

Later you can remove the starter, remove the solenoid, strip it all down, clean grease and refit and you should be good to go.

Cheers for the advice Fla, I will go out and release some aggression on the solenoid :)

I'll let you know how it goes.

Wiggle keys in the ignition whilst cranking?

Are you getting 12V on the thin wire to the starter with the ignition switch cranked to the starting position?

Wiggle keys in the ignition whilst cranking?

Are you getting 12V on the thin wire to the starter with the ignition switch cranked to the starting position?

I've been doing the wiggle of the key but no difference. Just nothing :( . My friend with the multimeter has gone now so I'll try that when I can get hold of him again. You mean the wire with the black plastic connector fitted that goes onto the solenoid?

I've been doing the wiggle of the key but no difference. Just nothing :( . My friend with the multimeter has gone now so I'll try that when I can get hold of him again. You mean the wire with the black plastic connector fitted that goes onto the solenoid?

Not the heavy cable direct to the battery, the thinner one from the ignition switch

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Voltage-tester-6v-12v-/171230454473?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item27de2162c9

Get something like this for your toolbox

Fortunately, my friend only lives two doors up and we have checked the wiring. We have the permanent live from the battery and getting 12v when I turn the key going to the small wire connected to the end of the solenoid.

New starter then do you think??

Ignition switch.......there is a guide on how to bypass it, which would at least rule it out, only takes a short while to do. Very common for these to fail

It's not an automatic by any chance is it? If it is, it could be the Park/Neutral position switch or associated relay that is faulty.

Best wishes

RB

It's a manual Roger but thanks for the suggestion.

All the signs are pointing to the starter now as mentioned, when I turn the key to the start position I have 12v so just going to check the gearbox to chassis earth tonight and if that's OK I will get another starter.

why not dismantle your old starter and refurb it to keep as a spare? I think i posted some pics of my refurb but not sure where they are...

why not dismantle your old starter and refurb it to keep as a spare? I think i posted some pics of my refurb but not sure where they are...

That's a good idea. There is a place local so i'll pop it in to them.