Sign in to follow this  
APJ

power steering fluid

what power steering fluid do i use in my 92 16v? there's a lot of conflicting info on the net, so ithought i better ask the pro's

I read your only soposed to use vw stuff but im using a £3 bottle of cheap crap in mine with no probs.I beleive the vw stuff is about £30

The VW green stuff is about £14 per litre.

If you don't use that, it will cost you a pump and a rack later down the line.

what about one a 190 1.8 16v should i be using green, as its had red fluid in since i bought it and it seems ok.

Yes I agree.... it aint cheap stuff but you shouldnt be topping it up anyway... but make sure you use the correct stuff.

Mines in a squarish VW metal container and is green I think.... used it on my 16V and VR6 once.

Scott.

The VW green stuff is about £14 per litre.

I can supply for around half that price - genuine VW - give me a shout if you need some.

what about one a 1990 1.8 16v should i be using green, as its had red fluid in since i bought it and it seems ok.

The red fluid will be Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF). Okay in most cars but VW's prefer the original green stuff.

Mine had ATF in too - seals were starting to leak badly. Hopefully hasn't damaged the pipes !!

cheers guys help much appreciated, i'll have some off u then steve mine's looking a bit loooow :(

guys how do u flush out the old fluid???

as ive changed my power steering pump to a g60 item now so i might aswell put the correct fluid in

thank you in advance

the way I did it was to disconnect one of the pipes and turn the pulley by hand (or a cordless drill! ;) ) to pump out the fluid... Putting it back in again was basically the same...

You have to turn the steering lock to lock a few times while doing it... it's a bit of a labourious boring task, but one that should save some aggro in the future... 8)

Oh, and using the drill I was on the slower speed which was around 400rpm max which shouldn't run the pump too hard while it's got practically no fluid in it to lubricate it... 8)