Gti_Jamo

1991 Tornado Red Corrado G60 Daily / Project

Wow, that's a great update. Loving the work so far mate, it's going to be a cracker once done. I do love a red rado as well...

Although the manifold sits on the studs, do the ports line up? If that's all ok and the gaskets seal could you do an little port matching and then put it on?

ive fitted a few manifolds and allways seem to be like that if they are 2nd hand. new ones allways seem ok.

you will be ok getting manifold over subframe. I layed carpet over subframe and against firewall so not to scratch anything.

looking good by the way :thumbleft:

Yeah nice update - my car is in a similar state with the engine the stand waiting for me to crack on with it...

IMG-20170629-WA0004_1.jpg

Like your engine bay too! did you paint that yourself? 2-pack paint?

Wow, that's a great update. Loving the work so far mate, it's going to be a cracker once done. I do love a red rado as well...

Although the manifold sits on the studs, do the ports line up? If that's all ok and the gaskets seal could you do an little port matching and then put it on?

Thanks mate! Yeah the ports on the 4 branch are slightly larger and seem to line up well enough once on the studs.

ive fitted a few manifolds and allways seem to be like that if they are 2nd hand. new ones allways seem ok.

you will be ok getting manifold over subframe. I layed carpet over subframe and against firewall so not to scratch anything.

looking good by the way :thumbleft:

That's good to know then. It'll be hoisted with a winch which is fixed to the roof. So basically will be rolling the car into the engine and gearbox. Which has worked well in the past but not done with a 4 branch in place.

Yeah nice update - my car is in a similar state with the engine the stand waiting for me to crack on with it...

Like your engine bay too! did you paint that yourself? 2-pack paint?

You can't beat an engine stand like! Yeah done it myself with 2-pack. No lacquer though as it's not really needed in the bay!

Dam son... you wern't lying about having your work cut out! Looks like you're firing on nicely with you'rs thou.

Still looks odd some one else posting about my car :( Glad she found a good home though! ;) i'll be very interested to see how you get on. Good luck!

Dam son... you wern't lying about having your work cut out! Looks like you're firing on nicely with you'rs thou.

Still looks odd some one else posting about my car :( Glad she found a good home though! ;) i'll be very interested to see how you get on. Good luck!

Cheers mate, yeah she's a fair project. Your one will have to sadly sit for a while until this is back up and running!

Update. Would have been sooner but had issues posting images. With photobucket out the window I had been using tinypic for this thread but even that doesn't function correctly anymore. I'm using postimage for this post.

More progress on the engine.

P7060004.jpg

P7280014.jpg

P7280015.jpg

P7280013.jpg

P7280019.jpg

P7280020.jpg

P7280017.jpg

P7280016.jpg

Fitted a new oil cooler and a few nuts and bolts etc but most of it is just refurbished. Need to get a new knock sensor as mine is in a terrible state. My front engine mount broke a few years ago and welded up but it was never quite right and sat a bit squint so cut it apart and re-welded it properly before painting. Both coolant flanges on the cylinder head were pitted so used some JB Weld on them and sanded them flush - nothing worse than having coolant leak from these.

As my radiator support panel was well past its best I managed to source another in good condition and refurbish it. Had to weld it round the captive nuts where the panel secures to the crossmember but other than that it's mint.

P7050001.jpg

P7060002.jpg

So with all that done the engine could go back in.

P8010030.jpg

P8010022.jpg

P8040039.jpg

P8010025.jpg

P8040041.jpg

Went in no bother with the 4 branch manifold in place but was touching the power steering return pipe so have fettled it a bit to get some clearance there but other than that it fits in well.

And finally cleaned up two of the KW coilovers off the black one. Came up not bad!

P7090005.jpg

All the best,

Jamie

Yeah these where always going to find their way onto mine lol. I've got some other coilovers for it though so not all bad. Still not be breaking it but will likely be selling it on soon.

Did you know you fitted the anti roll bar on upside down lol?

Did you know you fitted the anti roll bar on upside down lol?

I thought I had drop links on the anti roll bar (or at least i should have...) When i was putting the sub frame back together I gave the task to my pal along with a pair of drop links... sounds like he didn't fit them!

You know... I'm kinda tempted to buy it back off you! lol... I got a VR6 to replace it but i don't like the look of it... :bonk:

Without those KW's thou it's not so desirable.

BTW... I remembered that I was fiddling with the fuel mix on the engine. That might be why she runs a little rich/lumpy when hot. I recon if you tune it before selling you'll easily fix the problem :thumbleft:

Yeah it was sitting hard up against the exhaust and one side has pulled the rubber out the drop link. Drop links are there, it's just the bar is the wrong way round so it doesn't fit right at all. I'll prob drop the back of the subframe and flip it over at some point. One of the front wheel bearings is knackered too.

I had it running spot on. Not sure what I did to be honest. The timing belt tensioner was on its last legs so I changed it for a spare I had but unfortunately the belt slipped on the auxiliary shaft which threw the timing right out. Timed it up again and it was fine. I think the fuel was really old in it too as was much better after I fired a gallon in her. The alternator is completely had it so doesn't charge. Charger also has a fair bit of oil coming through it. Managed to get those charger bolts out lol. I think the crank seal on the gearbox side is leaking.

There will no doubt other bit's i'll be taking off it for mine but not too much. It's a fair major project for someone anyway.

It's a fair major project for someone anyway.

Oft! sounds it!

Drop links are there, it's just the bar is the wrong way round

I'm sure I gave my mate a drop link kit to fit the bar upside down and then the anti roll bar goes under the wishbones or something like that! But it sounds like he just popped it on backwards... This is the same guy in my build thread that bent my torque wrench and snapped 2 sockets during this process... great guy.

The tensioner and bolt where something i had to fire on her in an emergency about 3 years ago. Second hand tensioner and makeshift bolt so i't good you changed her out.

That alternator is relatively "new".. but it has been sat a while. Double check its not the voltage regulator as again... that was second hand. Failing that it's either a dodgy earth or the brushes inside the alternator are rusty. I think the cars worst enemy was time tbh... sat idle collecting dust/rust.

Hope It at least gets your other red one going! Those KW's are amazing once you have them on your car. I'd also like to hear the engine with that exhaust fitted if your up to taking a video! I reckon we'd all like to see that!

GOOD LUCK! :thumbleft:

The alternator is completely had it so doesn't charge.

BTW... i have a second had alternator that you're welcome to have next time ur in dundee should you want it. Do check the earths and voltage regulator first though. Although you still welcome to it... Not like i need it anymore!

Just noticed your reply Alex, I might take you up on that so will give you a shout sometime. I've changed the brushes for ones I had spare and hooked up another earth but no difference with it.

Will post up a video of mine running hopefully next week. Had her running briefly for 20 seconds or so but not got my G-Lader fitted yet, so the belts off and obviously the water pumps not being powered so couldn't run it long. Currently rebuilding my charger, just waiting on some new woodruff keys coming. I stripped down your old charger and it had spat out one of the apex seals out the magnesium displacer. Not by much, just an inch or so. Luckily it mostly stayed in its groove but has put a slight wear groove on the edge of the displacer. Nothing too serious and will likely repair it with a smidge of JB weld.

Just a little update of what's been happening recently.

Got round to rebuilding my charger. Took a lot of pics of the strip down but not so much during reassembly. All looked in very good shape in there. Was running fine prior but the oil seal at the exhaust side bearing had failed. These are a few random pics.

nz3dwj.jpg

19811y.jpg

21bn13s.jpg

oubk35.jpg

cn8s5.jpg

2uqeno7.jpg

2gtbv9g.jpg

x3y5hz.jpg

2r3y0pl.jpg

Back fitted now with a 68mm pulley along with an ecu chip.

So with that done I was able to get it fitted and fire this beast up and check it out. I had done a cold compression test before initial start up just out of curiosity, and it also gives it a bit of time to build some oil pressure to the charger before firing. 150 - 155 psi across all 4 so I am very happy there. After that I had it running for a good 45 minutes and right up to temperature, set the ignition timing and it runs spot on. Sounds good with the full stainless on it. Need to get proper G40 plugs for it as just running regulars just now. I've since drained the coolant (water on this occasion) and removed the radiator as wanted to check for leaks before I committed to putting G12 in. Also have a new expansion tank coming. Typically the bottom thermostat housing was warped and seeping so have replaced that but other than that no water or oil leaks. Clutch hose was perished and leaking so have replaced that with a full braided version from HEL which appears to very good quality and was very fast to arrive. In the photo I have a blanking plate on the charger but will be replacing the boost return as I'm not keen on the chirpiness at low revs.

27y8kfc.jpg

Also refurbished my front brake calipers and fitted them along with the Kw's.

2dwasrr.jpg

Edited by Gti_Jamo

Drove the G60 out the garage yesterday for the first time since January.

2rxwoz8.jpg

wu4cjl.jpg

2rwub7k.jpg

Also a short video of it running. Still needs set up and some wiring tidied up but runs very nice.

[video=youtube_share;5IuiDc7wtk8]

Hi guys, time for an 'annual' update on the G60.

ip8382.jpg

I've not got too much done to be honest. Have stripped down the underside and there is quite a few bits of rust needing sorted. Not really what I had planned but what can you do.

First of the entire underneath was cleaned. Both floor pans had underseal on them and was a nasty job removing it all but got there in the end.

14y51eh.jpg

I knew the backs of the sills needing doing but one side turned out to be worse than I though. The sealer hides a lot.

muees5.jpg

v5kayq.jpg

Then onto the boot floor where the petrol tank mount is.

312wapj.jpg

The drivers rear strut top area. Not too bad but needing repaired before it gets worse.

117yec0.jpg

4g41ft.jpg

And finally continuing on in drivers real wheel arch where many problems appeared after removing the petrol tank. The top piece where the neck mounts to is in a bad way and needs replaced or repaired.

121subp.jpg

Then I have this problem way up at the top where the rod for the petrol lock actuator goes through, along with rot around the inside of the patrol cap area. Not easy to get access to with cutting discs and a welder. I may have to cut into the inner wheel arch from the inside to do it properly.

il9fmu.jpg

So still lots to do before I even get started on the bodywork. A few small minor repairs but this is the worst of it. I've already started on the boot floor.

2vuzj0n.jpg

Hopefully more updates soon. I really good do with this being on the road come the summer so need to get on with it.

Cheers.

I’ve seen a lot worse - always better if you can do repairs like that yourself. Is that an Alpine in the background?

Forgot too add that I picked these alloys up earlier in they year. I had been looking for a set of these for a while and managed to get them sent over from Bulgaria. MIM 1900 in 15 x 7 with an offset of 13 so will sit pretty nice. Just going to be running 195/50's on them. They need a couple of cosmetic repairs and painted but overall in really good condition and all straight. The BMW centre caps are just stickers, the proper centre cap is still underneath.

20usrc2.jpg

2vdl0rm.jpg

2hczs6p.jpg