Sign in to follow this  
Robbo149

VR6 - which head gasket?

Hi all, I'm having a recon head fitted next week & have been phoning round for prices on all the bits required. A head gasket set from GSF (Ehlring) is about half the price of VW! as are head bolts. Question is, should I really pay the extra & get genuine VW items?

Cheers,

Robbo

Both will do the job quite nicely but as with everything in life, you get what you pay for and guess which headgasket will last longer, especially as it's coated steel?

Cheers Guys, I guess I'll leave the cheapo one's alone. Don't suppose anyone has ECP/GSF part numbers for chain tensioners/guide rails? They're both saying they don't stock such parts but I'm sure I've seen (non-VW) part numbers for them somewhere.

Cheers once again,

Robbo

They're captive parts, even Sachs, the OE can't supply the chains/tensioners.

Buy from VW, they're warrantied for 2 years, don't even think about pattern. The only people who may be able to get OE for less are GPC...

SACHS only make the tensioner bolt, FEBI/Bilstein make the chains, VW make the guide rails and tensioner pads.....

Ok just ordered all the bits - I ended up getting everything bar the chains, clutch & oil filter from the local stealer: headset & bolts £200!, tensioners, guide rails: £58!... lawks-a-lordy! Chains from GSF: £40ish (Febi, I think), Clutch also GSF: £80 (LUK/Sachs)... this ain't going to be a cheap job! Never mind, it'll all be worth it (I keep telling myself). Just need the aux belt & tensioner from Phat now :wink:

Cheers,

Robbo

Make sure you use a LUK clutch.

Chains etc, OK, looks like a couple of manufacturers produce them but I personally recommend you dump 021 109 509B and go with 021 109 509E instead. It's £6.50 as opposed to £27 and will last indefiniteley. B only lasts till 100K. Oh and E runs a lot quieter too. To use E you also need 021 109 507B, which is the revised tensioner bolt.

Get some new tappets too cause they're cheap and remove all the tapping....

No it won't be cheap but boy is it worth it to get that creamy smooth power back again :lol:

Cheers Kev, I did go for the LUK clutch as it was a couple of quid cheaper anyway. The later parts you're recommending, is that a revised guide rail or a different chain? & are these a straight replacement?

Tappets are already done, I have a fully reconditioned head waiting to go on (cleaned & skimmed, new tappets, valves, guides & oil seals), just need to swap the cams over.

I'm off to sunny Spain on Saturday so I'm leaving it with someone to be done while I try & relax! I'll let you know what it's like when I get it back, hopefully It'll be as good as yours Kev! ... Schrick next on the shopping list!

Cheers,

Robbo

The later parts I described replace the upper tensioner pad and tensioning bolt, everything else stays the same.

Yep they bolt straight in and are fit and forget judging by current wear reports from the states.

I'm sure she'll fly when you get it back!

elring ones are shte, you want a victor reintz one.

Nice one Phat. Just looked at the back of my engine and seen Vince has indeed used a Victor Reintz one as I can see the lettering.

What seperates them from the rest? I would have thought a VAG steel one is the best you can use?

K