Rado89

4wd corrado

Hey.

I've alway been intrigued to know just how much work is required for a syncro/4motion conversion for a corrado g60. How it always should have been if you ask me. Is there any build threads on here that someone could point me towards?

Thanks Phil.

There was a user on here called Blue95 (I think) who built a 20v synchro - I think he may have sold it now but you should find his build thread if you try a quick search.

M.

Having being involved in building one of these I can say there is quite a lot of parts finding to be done, being probably the hardest part, which is due to the rarity of the parts. If you decide to make your own parts to get around the lack of stock parts, it can be even more difficult.

Major hardships are changing the rear floorpan to a rallye/syncro style pan (very difficult to find and will require modification to fit well and look good), fuel tank and pump needs to be changed to the syncro set up (also hard to find now).

You'll need to also find a prop shaft and suitable fixings (the syncro one is a three piece unit and the mounting bearings are no longer available) Then there's the rear beam and trailing arms, if you stay syncro you need to find a syncro viscous coupling and differential that are in good order. That's getting challenging with most units being over 20 years old now.

If you decide to go with the 4motion haldex and differential then the complexity and the price go up again. You will need to modify the rear beam with adaption plates that need to be welded to the original rear beam to allow it to carry the haldex unit and 4mo diff. Going 4motion also requires the use of the appropriate 02M gearbox.

If you make all that fit you have to decide how you're going to control the proportioning of drive with the haldex unit, given that you wont have the electronics in place like the vehicle that the haldex unit came out of. This means you have to choose from a stand alone unit to control the Haldex controller, these typically cost around 600-800 quid. The other option is to fit a proportioning valve to the haldex unit but this means its stuck in one proportion constantly which increases the wear rate on the haldex unit by a large ammount.

In short its complex and expensive and will take some time to complete as a project, it is by no means a few weekends, more in the region of a few years by the time you have done the research, collected the necessary parts, made the appropriate modifications and planned very carefully...your car will be off the road for some time, but if you see it through you'll be very pleased with the results.

Mine is all syncro stuff. As above- a huge amount of chopping is required to get the floorpan in. My fuel tank is in the boot!