deamon90002004

brake pads

what are the best pads to get for a 91 g60 on the front? i've had ebc ultimax and greenstuff, had standard pagid, delphi, autex, i love the ebc stuff (had both on my golf) but i just don't know what to get, im looking at about £50 mark, i've been looking at ebc greenstuff (again, cos they gave a great bite which made me feel like i was going to stop) or black diamond predators (don't know what they are like).

but what pads are out there that people recommend?

ive been running EBC ultimax rotors with greenstuff pads on the front of my VR & have been very impressed with them over OEM

i need to replace rear rotors & pads soon & am thinking putting the ultimax rotors on again but with the red stuff pads, however my concern is what their response is like when cold - have you tried the red stuff?

I'm just going to put in a vote for OEM brakes - I run OEM discs and pads on my VR (though admittedly 288's). They've been on the car since I've owned it (and I've done about 32,000 miles in it), and no idea how long before that - and still seem to have tonnes of meat on both pads and discs. And I've never felt that they were close to fading or anything.

However if you're keen on after market, I did used to run performance Ferrodo pads on my G60 and they were pretty damn decent!

from my experience OEM just arent what they used to be :(

my last set of front rotors & pads were genuine from VW & as i have intermittent ABS i found that they more often than not locked up extremely quickly under heavy braking & even when i was cautious not to jump on the pedal too hard but then steadily increase the pressure applied. the EBC stuff doesnt seem to suffer this any where near as much

also, i was very disappointed when the front discs barely lasted as long as 1 set of pads - from my notes this was approx 22K miles

but my main issue was with the rears as the pads were not chamfered on the back of the pad & even now i get horrible squealing noises when braking going backwards. yes i could have taken them out & put a chamfer on them myself but other brake companies do that as standard so why not those who supply VW

I know TPS now do an economy range - not used them but they are cheap - rear pads for under £15

WOW that is super cheap!! too cheap possibly, surely!?

from what i've been told pagid are an oem equivealent, same as my golf, they are just crap, work great, but as soon as you get them a tad too warm they just dont bite as much from there on, i really dont like it, where with ebc ultimax or greenstuff, they felt great even through harsh braking

Forums are amazing places :lol: I've never got on with EBC's pads, the discs are fine if a little soft.

You really need to ask what type of driving are you doing - standard commuting, fast road or track days?

For a good all round pad, I like Mintex M1144, Pagid RS4-2, Ferodo DS2500... But I doubt you'll find any of them for under £50, but do you want to scrimp on brake parts? For standard road driving however, I've found that standard Ferodo pads are excellent as I'm using them on my mk5 Golf GTi (they were even good for short stints (~5 laps) of track driving :) )

If you can get them Ferodo Premier. Low dust, good from cold and not overly expensive.

Ran them on my S4 and now on the rear of the C, great road pad.

I've used EBC Yellowstuff pads for a while now on my Mk2 track car with G60 brake setup. For the price, they are brilliant, work well from cold, never had issues of them fading, don't produce too much dust and are nice a quite. Last quite a long time as well. The car is pretty light compared to a full interiored Corrado but it's still managed 4 trackdays and 15k miles road use with enough meat left on the pads for another trackday.