Jim

Tax exemption for classic cars is BACK!

Well it's not quite the dream scheme a lot of us would like, as it's still a LONG time before our Corrado's are tax exempt, but yesterday in the budget the government announced that vehicles 40 years old and over will be tax exempt. And this is a rolling thing now.

http://classics.honestjohn.co.uk/news/general-news/2014-03/classic-car-road-tax-exemption-now-rolling-at-40-years/

So at this point if you car was registered before 1 January 1974, it'll be tax exempt.

Only 7 more years till your MK1 Scirocco becomes free to tax, Tempest :)

I saw this yesterday too Jim & agree though its a way off at least the GOV have restarted the rolling scheme.

Fingers crossed the rado's will get a nice value increase when it happens - i know from working on the camper vans that those which qualify for tax exemption always demand a higher figure

20 ish years for my VR but only another 4 for my dads 911 - which should hopefully coincide with getting it back on the road :D

I'm with Supercharged,it'll be binned long before our Corrado's get there !

Pre 1974 is good,

But buy a pre 1960's car, they are MOT exempt !

yeah, my dad has a 1954 morris minor, costs him £150 a year to insure, no road tax or MOT, but then it has drum brakes on the front and you have to plan stopping WELL in advance :)

I'm shortly (next month or two, hopefully) about to take ownership of a 1967 Daimler 2.5 V8 - looks the same as a MK2 Jaguar (inspector morse!) but in blue.

As it's '67 it is already tax exempt but actually stops very well as it was one of the first production road cars to be fitted with disc brakes. The only hair raising thing is the suspension / handling - so, so heavy and lots of body roll! But that's not what she's really designed for :)

Only 7 more years till your MK1 Scirocco becomes free to tax, Tempest

Personally I don't think the scheme will be around in 7 years any more. Here's hoping.

Tempest

I'm shortly (next month or two, hopefully) about to take ownership of a 1967 Daimler 2.5 V8 - looks the same as a MK2 Jaguar (inspector morse!) but in blue.

As it's '67 it is already tax exempt but actually stops very well as it was one of the first production road cars to be fitted with disc brakes. The only hair raising thing is the suspension / handling - so, so heavy and lots of body roll! But that's not what she's really designed for :)

Sounds a great choice Jim, I love the MK2 shape, don't recall seeing many in blue.

My GT6 becomes tax exempt this year, yay!

Cheers

Jeff

Slightly serious question .. who actually cares about road tax in their calculations of whether to put a car on the road or not .. ?

Slightly serious question .. who actually cares about road tax in their calculations of whether to put a car on the road or not .. ?

Not me.

It amuses me when MK5 R32 owners moan about the £475 road tax. £39.50 per month. They didn't mind paying £25K for the car, or £1000 to insure it (depending on circumstances), or the low 20s mpg.

People are weird.

Chris Evans was saying on the radio this morning about most "classic" car owners tax there cars on the 1st of April for six months

Not me.

It amuses me when MK5 R32 owners moan about the £475 road tax. £39.50 per month. They didn't mind paying £25K for the car, or £1000 to insure it (depending on circumstances), or the low 20s mpg.

People are weird.

:lol: This is true Kev people are weird

The Mk5 R32 must have one of the worst car tax to current retail price ratios. Prices now start under £8k so £475 a year road tax is quite a sizeable amount. I assume it won't be long until this is £500 per year. That surely will make some people think twice about buying one

On a new car £475 isn't likely to put people off. But as cars get older it will do and will result in some being scrapped earlier than they would. I certainly wouldn't consider something like a 2006+ R32 as a second car because with tax, maintenance and then a new £500 bill for road tax it just makes it too much. One of the beauties of the Corrado is that even the VR6 is quite low tax. If it were near £500 then I certainly wouldn't have bought one as the tax compared to value would be too high.