Ray1965

Best Spray paint for Intake Manifold

I'm wanting to spruce the engine bay a little. Would like to know what the best kind of silver spray to use. Does it have to be heat resistant? or can i use normal paint? I'm going to be painting the manifold, and then the plastic rocker cover as well.

That looks a good job. How hard is it to remove the manifold? Are there any gaskets etc to change if taken off? Looks like it could be done still on the car. With a bit of masking off.

Edited by Ray1965

There are two pieces to the intake Ray, an upper and a lower. Little bit fiddly getting the bolts out but not too difficult. It's all monkey see monkey do. There are two metal gaskets, one between upper and lower, and one between lower and block. These are metal gaskets so provided they're not too corroded, a bit of gasket sealant will suffice. Either way they're not too expensive to replace and are quite readily available. There's a paper gasket for the throttle body though, which I'd recommend you replace if you take it off. As for the lower part, you can't remove it without removing the injector rail, but it can't really be seen when everything is in place, so I'd just do the upper if your not going balls out mate.

just did my spare manifold in Halford high temp paint with a coat of lacquer on top to give it some shine. Will be fitted with the OBD2 conversio (temporarily)...

Cheers for the info guys. Using HT paint looks like the best option then. Probalby will go for leaving the manifold on the car and masking everything, for the quick option.

Edited by Ray1965

I've had mine powder coated. Looks pretty good still after a couple of years

I sent mine off for vapour blasting, looks amazing like new and it's been over 6 months now and still looks the same. Upper, lower inlet and cam cover was all done for £50qanujuhy.jpg

I sent mine off for vapour blasting, looks amazing like new and it's been over 6 months now and still looks the same. Upper, lower inlet and cam cover was all done for £50qanujuhy.jpg

How have you maintained the finish?

Hula, That looks great. No paint or protection applied

you got me thinking now :scratch:

Edited by Ray1965

Think i'm going to go with the Hycote vht paint, and a coat of clear to finish it off. Also going back a post or two on the thread, will it be possible to spray on the car?

Edited by Ray1965

The problem with VHT paint is that it doesn't really dry until it's really hot or left for a long time

Think i'm going to go with the Hycote vht paint, and a coat of clear to finish it off. Also going back a post or two on the thread, will it be possible to spray on the car?

Hi Ray, You will struggle to make a job of it without removing, I would sandblast and treat with wd 40. Easy to maintain, and it will not crack peel or flake.

If you are going to Elsacar I will show you the finish on mine which has been done for some time now.

Hi Ray, You will struggle to make a job of it without removing, I would sandblast and treat with wd 40. Easy to maintain, and it will not crack peel or flake.

If you are going to Elsacar I will show you the finish on mine which has been done for some time now.

Ok Bruny, cheers for the info, Yes i will be at Elsecar show, car will be on the CCGB stand. :thumbleft:

I've had mine powder coated. Looks pretty good still after a couple of years

this gets my vote too!!

Powdercoat gets my vote and really doesn't break the bank.

Super durable and if done correctly will last years.

Fanny-molds were blasted and spray something like 5 years ago. Charger outlet about a month ago.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78310[/ATTACH]

Hard pushed to tell the difference.

Cheers Fla, I'm afraid i was that busy, i forgot to take some pics of the calipers. :bonk: They come up ok 100% better now.

And that finish is otherwise known as....... mint! See you at Elsecar Dave :)