DANG60

Floor pan protection

Hey guys I realise this has been asked loads of times before but I'm in a bit of a pickle. I've been restoring the underside of the car. The car is currently on a spit and will be getting moved in a few months so really want to get this done whilst it's on the spit.

The car has had all of the underseal stripped, rust treated and any holes welded. I then have primed the floor put around 5 coats of thinned down stone chip on and then 2 PAC paint over the top. The car has been like this a few years now. I

I find myself driving down toads an thinking there's no way my corrado floor will stand up to all the pebble dashing from the roads with the poor state they seem to be in.

I'm thinking either key the floor again and apply more stone chip only rather than thinning it for a smooth effect I'll put it in to give the rippled effect similar to the factory and then topcoat it. Alternatively I could get the vw underseal and put that back on but not sure if it's overpaintable then topcoat over the top. Or finally add more protection to the wheel arches and leave the floor pans as they are as most likely the damage comes from the wheels flicking stones up etc.

Any of you guys have experience of what works? This is the second time I've done this as I first did all the floor with por15 with a view to painting over the top and wasn't impressed with the results. Ii feel that I prepped it well before tusing the por15

That looks a top job you've done there. Why dont you put the original stone chip on that the cars came with, I'm sure you can still get it and its great stuff.

Thanks Chris,yeah I've been looking into that stuff. You read that many do's and dont's with what to use i just end up lost.

I just need to make sure I make the right choice. Don't fancy stripping it off a third time lol

That looks a top job you've done there. Why dont you put the original stone chip on that the cars came with, I'm sure you can still get it and its great stuff.

I enquired two weeks ago…denied..gutted..

The factory stuff, part number D 003 500 isn't available anymore sadly…

Is this 3m stuff a similar thing?

I thought Kip bought some not long ago? Its great stuff and from cleaning the underneath of mine its still rubbery and kept my floors perfect

The factory stuff, part number D 003 500 isn't available anymore sadly…

Is this 3m stuff a similar thing?

My local bodyshop place said the 3M Schultz was the same stuff as factory, but maybe he's wrong?

Got my underside Schultz'd and it's as thick & rubbery as the factory stone chip stuff, and painted

EDIT - Hmm.. that ebay Schultz says it's not overpaintable... :scratch:

Isn't that stuff called Schutz, not Schultz?

Schultz may have been the guy who applied it in the factory ,but Schutz is the product :-)

Schultz may have been the guy who applied it in the factory ,but Schutz is the product :-)

Yes, you're correct! My bad :lol:

My bodyshop guy kept calling it Shultz and it's stuck with me..

hehe :-)

Didn't he write the Peanuts and Snoopy books?

Anyone know of an actual product then for the rubberised coating? I'd like to buy some but can't find anything online aside from the NLA VW stuff :(

I bought some Halfords stuff (about 2 years ago!) - i'll check which one it is and let you know.

Dinitrol, Protect Super 447 is the light grey fast drying overpaintable elastic anti stone chip

Dinitrol 4010 heat resistant transparent hard coat.

Brilliant product and very helpful company. Highly recommended.

Dinitrol, Protect Super 447 is the light grey fast drying overpaintable elastic anti stone chip

Dinitrol 4010 heat resistant transparent hard coat.

Brilliant product and very helpful company. Highly recommended.

I contacted these guys today.. Very helpful, advised me to place order through ebay as they charge less postage. Have opted for a primer as well.

The grey underseal is brush on, the black one is spray on, I've gone for the grey one and will report findings as and when (hopefully this weekend.. Ive got a lot of car bits planned but this is top of the list..

Are you going to use seam sealer on the joints 1st before you apply the dinitrol? I'm not sure if it's needed. I never did it on mine. Dinitrol do a seam sealer aswell.

\Paddy

I only need to do a couple of local repairs rather than complete floor or large areas so haven't bothered..

How did you get on with it?

It seems it's an absolute minefield the amount of products that are available.

The thing that holds me back putting new underseal on is the fact that my car was starting to see rust in areas where there was no damage to the underseal so the water must have crept in from elsewhere.

I seem sealed all the floor joints but that was with the full floor stripped.

Points you Guys might find of interest though are

The front of the sills which is a well known area.

Down in the corner of the rear wheel arch where the fuel tank filler neck goes. This is a tank out job though. I say bottom it's really the top it's because my car is upside down.

Also at the bottom front of the rear wheel arches roughly where the rear beam pivot is.

Another place which wasn't that bad bud could be if I'd left it was near the mounting points for the rear beam pivots. Because it's smooth where the mounting points bolt to but undersealed around so the water creeps under there.