Ray1965

Knock, knock, Who's There?

Last couple of days i've driven the C around on a few short trips, and i have noticed a single knocking noise coming from the drivers side rear wheel arch suspension area.

It sounded like it was inside the car. So i took the jack,parcel shelf, and fire extinguisher out of the boot and went out today to do a 35 mile round trip.

I went 1 mile down the road and promptly came back home as it was knocking like a good un!

thinking it was the suspension, the wheel bearing and everything else were falling off.

Then the panic stopped, when going to take the wheel off i found all the bloody wheel nuts were loose !! :bonk::shocked!::censored:

Moral to this story guys, Check Your Nuts !! :thumbleft:

Just be careful that some little scally was trying to nick your wheels and got disturbed. Locking nuts fitted?

Just be careful that some little scally was trying to nick your wheels and got disturbed. Locking nuts fitted?

Never thought of that.

My car is parked on my drive way with big gates (enclosed) will be a bit hard tbh. I have no locking wheel nuts at present.

Just an idea, I've worked at a few garages and seen it happen alot. You'd be surprised.

Paint on the rear face of the wheel where it meets the hub or the hub where it meets the wheel will crush and the bolts come loose.

Wrong wheel bolts - taper bolts on a conical seat wheel (or vise versa) - the bolts wont have enough surface area on there seating, the alloy will crush and the bolts come loose.

Most tyre places will either tell you or advise on the invoice to check wheel bolts after 100 - 200 miles or so, plenty do them up so tight you need a scaffold pole to get them off leaving you stranded if you get a puncture and only have a standard brace..... This really ****es me off!