SteveyJ

After many years - I Have a Corrado!! YAY!!

HI All

Just thought I would say hi. I have been into my dubs for many many years, and spent a small fortune on a magazine featured mk1 golf, then moved into air cooled, moved back to water cooled T4 and now after many years of wanting but never buying have purchased a VR6 Corrado. So pleased and happy!!!

I bought a completely original and fully documented history 1994 motor, it needs some work, so planning to weld on some repair sills, tidy up some bodywork and get it painted back to its former glory, but do want to make some modifications to get it to my taste, so plan on fitting some new rims and need to lower it!!! Sorry to the purists amongest us, but each to their own (atleast I'm rescuing another corrado from potential scrapyards!!)

So I'm debating on fitting coilovers but unsure how low the car can go with out making it un-practical for everyday driving?? So if anyone can post pictures of there motor on coilovers which are lowered to the point it is still good over speed bumps and full lock on corners I would love to see!!!

So anyway thought I would say hi!!

Welcome aboard :)

A 40-50mm drop is about what you want really for pain free, every day motoring. Any lower and it can start to be a bit of a challenge sometimes :)

Welcome along , even the purists have small mods . Which in my opinion is the best way to go , nice and subtle , a feel title tweaks . I think most of us on here would agree it sits a little high on a standard ride .

Cheers guys, I like the comment about needing lots of patience, that sounds ominous!!!! One thing I think is wrong with it sofar is the spoiler - it works on the switch both ways, and comes up when you get to about 55mph but won't go down on its on later (I'm guessing this is wrong as I have to tell it to go down on the switch). Anyone know about this problem, a quick fix? Or something I need patience for???:bonk:

the spoiler should raise and lower via the switch, but automatically raise at speeds of around 40-50 (I think some are different) and then automatically lower when speed decreases and your below the target speed, are you saying the spoiler raises at speed but then doesn't go down unless you lower it via the switch?

go for a drive and see, wait for it to go up then pull over with the engine on and wait....go from there

The spoiler should lower automatically but only when you are much, much slower. I can't remember what speed but something like 10 to 15mph.

On a late UK car it should go up about 56mph

the spoiler should raise and lower via the switch, but automatically raise at speeds of around 40-50 (I think some are different) and then automatically lower when speed decreases and your below the target speed, are you saying the spoiler raises at speed but then doesn't go down unless you lower it via the switch?

go for a drive and see, wait for it to go up then pull over with the engine on and wait....go from there

Hey guys, yeah thats what I'm saying. It works perfectly on the switch both ways, but when going for a drive it raises at about 50mph, but stays up, even when I slow down to a stop or even park up and switch off it stays up?? The only way to lower it then is through the switch?? Not a common problem then??

Cheers Steve

Welcome :)

Glad you have finally made the leap to a VR - hope your enjoying it!?

Have you any pics to post, its always nice to see new members motors.

If you check out the 2nd page of my member thread http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=44751&page=2&highlight=g0ldf1ng3r it has pics of when i had fitted & adjusted my KW V1 coilovers.

It is on the standard 15" speedlines & I went for a '2 finger' gap between the top of the tire & the wheel arch all round. I find this height on these coilovers gives me a great balance between excellent handling & stability whilst giving the suspension enough room to travel so as not to feel too crashy.

Personally, i found that any crashy or harshness was vastly reduced once i had also renewed my front wishbone & rear beam bushes (as well as the rest of the running gear) Everything then feels nicely cushioned but when pushing it round corners it just grips & grips :D

P5190009.jpg

P5190008.jpg

Can't put an actual figure on the drop but it's by no means extreme. The car is on Koni coilovers and 16 inch staggered Porsche rims with 195/45s on the front and 205/45s on the back. The ride is very civilised in all conditions with no scrubbing, cashing or banging,

Edited by leon263