seanl82

Windscreen replacement.

When my car goes in for paint, I'll obviously have to replace the screen as it won't come out without breaking. Its had a replacement screen at some point as you can see the amount of sealant that had been used with the interior trim removed. I've had my outer trim out to check for any possible corrosion and it looks pretty sound. It went back in well too! My only problem is that I'm bricking it a bit, what with all the recent reports of poorly fitted screens, and masses of rust coming through within a matter of months! This is making me reconsider whether to pull the screen, or just remove the outer trim and paint behind it before refitting. I know there are a few fitter that come well recommended somewhere around the Midlands, but this is a bit too far obviously. Anyone have any recommendations for down South? Tbh, I'd want to be present for the whole time its being fitted. I hate to have to look over a "professionals" shoulder, but I'm just really worried about it!

Ask Vag hag Sean there is a company he has used along with other's. Supposed to be really good.

It might come out without breaking. I had to have mine removed and refitted following a right bodge job and it's still in one piece. The fitter was in Leicestershire though so probably not who you need.

James, yeah I remember that, but as said, I think he's based around the Midlands somewhere which is obviously too far.

nrc, thanks. Thats what I'm afraid of tbh. The screen isn't in bad condition and has very few noticeable stone chips, which is why I'm cautious about fixing something that isn't broken.

Edited by seanl82

Hi Sean ,Dial a screen,based in Portsmouth did mine recently.Trevor & Dave,experienced & good guys.They said they would not want to be doing them every day as they are not that nice to do but they know what's what & did a good job of mine for a good price .under £300 for a Sekurit with top tint.you will need to get the scuttle clips from Vw .give them a call & mention Daren from Horndean .As said they might be able to remove your old screen in one piece & refit, but it's not guaranteed 02392 697022

I'll obviously have to replace the screen as it won't come out without breaking.

Yes it will.

They're not the greatest fitting screen of them all, and there's no room for error either. This is why when you look at the A-pillars you'll see a mess. Very few fitters will remove the pillar covers, period, never mind on a Corrado.

Ryan at Solent Windscreens covers your area.

If there's lots of sealant there Sean , it's normally for a reason . The pillars may be rotten , I'm not saying they are though obviously you won't know till it's out . Mine were rotten and had loads of sealant as it's the only way the fitter can get a good seal as the rot is not their problem , they are just there to fit the screen . The pillars are obsolete now as far as I know . Having said that the body shop can make them up . If the paint has hardened around where the screen sits I cannot see a problem . I had an old school fitter from Auto glass do mine , as above they don't like doing them as they are a pain .

Rob